Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#10324 by champ
Tue May 26, 2009 9:23 pm
Ooma gives 3000 minutes per month.
Does this include incoming calls too or just the dialed out calls.
Can someone clarify this.
Thanks
#10326 by murphy
Wed May 27, 2009 2:57 am
Dialed out calls. They make money on incoming calls.
#10328 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 5:22 am
murphy wrote:Dialed out calls. They make money on incoming calls.

Really? I'm glad I call my wife frequently on the second line which is the only way I know I'm getting the Ooma service.

How does that work anyway?

I like the idea of a report or even a warning as you are approaching the limit. I also would like to see forgiveness if you're a Premier user.

Scott
#10329 by doug
Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 am
scottlindner wrote:How does that work anyway?

I'm not an expert, but this is how I think it works. For calls which involve a traditional landline or cell phone provider on at least one end of the conversation, the caller's phone company pays a small per minute rate to company which terminates the call.

Thus Ooma collects a small amount of money per minute on incoming calls, but has to pay a small amount per minute on outgoing calls. Calls from one Ooma user to another Ooma just use the internet so would not involve the call fees associated with the phone network.

I presume the Ooma business model counts on the revenue from incoming calls to roughly balance its costs for terminating outgoing calls, and the 3000 minute limit on outgoing calls is to ensure they can't lose too much money servicing a customer with abnormal usage patterns.

That is, typical residential usage would by and large have a mix of both incoming and outgoing calls. However, somebody doing telemarketing would be almost all outgoing calls and thus tip the scale to where it costs Ooma a disproportionate amount to continue providing service to the user.

I presume the flip side is an incoming call center like customer service would perhaps be a money maker for Ooma by collecting call termination fees all the time. That is conjecture on my part though; all I've seen referenced is the service is intended for residential usage.

scottlindner wrote:I like the idea of a report or even a warning as you are approaching the limit. I also would like to see forgiveness if you're a Premier user.

In other threads, Ooma has mentioned they have never yet terminated a residential usage customer. My guess is that exceeding 3000 minutes is not a real problem if you also have a reasonable balance of incoming minutes.

The limit is probably there so they have the right to terminate somebody whose outgoing calls are disproportionate enough to cost them too much money on a regular basis.

None of this is official; I'm just a user too but I *think* that is how the fees work when a call includes the public telephone network.
#10372 by scottlindner
Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 pm
Thanks for the explanation. I had no clue but after reading your post I thought about it and I can see the motivation for this arrangement.

Cheers,
Scott
#10407 by niknak
Thu May 28, 2009 7:43 am
The reason for the 3000 minute limit is to discourage using OOMA for high volume business purposes

I believe the moderators here have mentioned that the 3000 minute limit is a "guide" and that no one has ever been terminated for going over the 3000 minute limit if there was good reason
#10538 by trim81
Sun May 31, 2009 4:07 am
wrong, I have followed richbuchanan (sorry if mispelled) on twitter, and he mentioned a "few" have been terminated, since it was clearly heavy business use
#10539 by scottlindner
Sun May 31, 2009 4:37 am
This is a potential Premier add on. Allow heavy users to use the serivce and willingly pay extra for heavy, sustained use. It still has to be a heck of a lot cheaper than the traditional landline, and broadens the user base and increases revenue.

Cheers,
Scott
#10540 by niknak
Sun May 31, 2009 5:21 am
trim81 wrote:wrong, I have followed richbuchanan (sorry if mispelled) on twitter, and he mentioned a "few" have been terminated, since it was clearly heavy business use

niknak wrote:no one has ever been terminated for going over the 3000 minute limit if there was good reason

Like I said , "business use" IS NOT a good reason (and a violation of the terms of use) and that's why they were terminated !
#10542 by scottlindner
Sun May 31, 2009 5:28 am
niknak wrote:Like I said , "business use" IS NOT a good reason (and a violation of the terms of use) and that's why they were terminated !

Why is business use not a good reason? I understand it is a violation of the terms of use (although I haven't read it to verify that), but why isn't it a good reason?

Scott