Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#10095 by Pandora
Thu May 21, 2009 5:12 pm
If Ooma goes belly up, they don't send regular bills, or provide conventional billing information. It may be difficult to port out our numbers from Ooma in that event.

Dennis P (an Ooma moderator) has indicated Ooma does permit porting out of ported in numbers.

My only real concern is if Ooma fails. There doesn't seem to be a way to get a bill from them. Most porting I've done requires a recent bill.

Even Ooma requires a recent bill to port a number in. It appears Ooma hasn't thought out the situation they are leaving customers in.
#10098 by doug
Thu May 21, 2009 5:53 pm
Pandora wrote:If Ooma goes belly up, they don't send regular bills, or provide conventional billing information. It may be difficult to port out our numbers from Ooma in that event.

Having not done the porting yet, I am intrigued by this comment. Porting a number back in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond our control is a worry I have seen mentioned on the forums previously. Are you saying that having a recent bill showing you currently have the number may allow another provider to get the number ported to them?

Would paying for Premiere service monthly instead of annually then make it possible or at least increase the likelihood of being able to port a number back? At only $5/mth more vs annual billing, that would be cheap insurance. Certainly cheaper than keeping the number on a basic landline instead of porting it. I for one would be willing to pay it if it made the difference on viability in porting back in the future.

Addressing this concern may help encourage people on the fence to actually switch to Ooma. Does anyone really know what another provider may need in the way of documentation for a port? Could monthly call logs serve as a type of statement, along with the last annual Premiere bill if under a year old?
#10100 by Pandora
Thu May 21, 2009 6:12 pm
The problem for me is Ooma doesn't seem to take any interest in conventional billing. A bill should show the customer name, phone number and account number.

Ooma doesn't provide this on a regular basis. We could try to take some screen shots, but generally Ooma screen shots don't seem to fit into a bill.

It would be nice if Ooma had an account page in the lounge, indicating any balance due (which would almost always be 0) and an ability to just print a bill. That or the option to get a monthly account statement from them via email.
#10115 by scottlindner
Fri May 22, 2009 4:45 am
Pandora wrote:The problem for me is Ooma doesn't seem to take any interest in conventional billing. A bill should show the customer name, phone number and account number.

Ooma doesn't provide this on a regular basis. We could try to take some screen shots, but generally Ooma screen shots don't seem to fit into a bill.

It would be nice if Ooma had an account page in the lounge, indicating any balance due (which would almost always be 0) and an ability to just print a bill. That or the option to get a monthly account statement from them via email.

Maybe this should be a feature request. Could be awesome, they send you a monthly PDF showing you owe nothing. :-)