Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#10072 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 12:14 pm
I am a new Ooma user (a couple of days) and I wanted to prove to myself my Ooma is actually working over the Internet rather than my landline. However, when I disconnect the Ooma hub from the landline the hub shuts off. When I pick up my phone that is directly connected to the hub there is silence. Is this normal behavior or is something not right?

Cheers,
Scott
#10075 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm
If you chose to register ooma WITH a landline (provisioning I think they call it), then it will not work with your landline disconnected.
Ooma with a landline means all incoming calls and all local calls use your landline and all longdistance calls go out via ooma.

If you chose ooma WITHOUT a landline ooma would be used for all calls.

Wayne
#10077 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 1:05 pm
That's what I thought.

I want to continue receiving calls on our landline number, so I guess I just have to wait until I decide to port our number. It makes it hard to test the Ooma service to be confident in it when you don't even know if you're making calls over the service.

Scott
#10079 by southsound
Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 pm
Scott,

If you call tech support at 1 888 712-6662 they can change the ooma hub to work without the landline virtually while you are still online. Then, until you port, you will have a temporary number on the ooma and will need to connect a phone to your existing landline so you can still answer it. You will be able to test the ooma with the temporary number, and if you have Premier will even be able to keep that number after porting as a second number.
#10080 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 pm
I kind of figured out part of that. I'm not sure I entirely understand the tech support request just yet. What is it they would do?

I have the trial for the Premier service (and seriously think I'll pay for it afterwards) so I already have the second line and number. When I'm at work I call my wife on the second number, but that's the only time I know for sure we're getting the Ooma service.

So far I really like it all. As with most of us, I just hope there's enough steam in the Ooma engine to keep it ticking for a long time.

Cheers,
Scott
#10087 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 pm
What customer support will do is change your setup so ooma will be the only service you have for incoming and outgoing calls. What you would do to still receive old landline calls would be to plug a phone into a different wall socket to receive your landline calls, as Southsound suggested. OR put call forwarding on your landline number and forward it to ooma.

Wayne
#10099 by doug
Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If you chose to register ooma WITH a landline (provisioning I think they call it), then it will not work with your landline disconnected. Ooma with a landline means all incoming calls and all local calls use your landline and all longdistance calls go out via ooma.

What happens if the landline is busy, i.e., already in use on another call? For incoming calls, the recommendation is for CFB so the call gets forwarded to the Ooma number and you can still take it (using another phone) or forward to voicemail if you don't answer.

But what about outgoing? If the landline is busy, can you place a local call via Ooma?

When you provision Ooma with a landline, can customer service set the outgoing caller ID to be the landlline number even for calls placed via Ooma? While arguably "spoofing", I think it would be a legitimate request. Like businesses who have all outgoing lines report the main switchboard BTN instead of a WTN for purposes of caller ID.