Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9998 by Leeway
Wed May 20, 2009 3:48 pm
What does that mean? I've gotten two calls where my caller ID says "out Of Area" and when I pick up the phone there is nothing but silence. Then in about 30 seconds I get the Ooma music sound and a dialtone.
#10082 by murphy
Thu May 21, 2009 1:28 pm
Telemarketers like to set up shop in out of the way places where the telephone infrastructure doesn't support caller iD.
#10096 by doug
Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm
murphy wrote:Telemarketers like to set up shop in out of the way places where the telephone infrastructure doesn't support caller iD.

Actually, I don't think that is true. Out of the way places without much telephone infrastructure can't easily handle the lines needed for a major call center. I think the reason the caller ID doesn't necessarily work with them is they tend to have dedicated T1's, (or bigger DS1/DS3/etc) which go straight to their long distance provider and bypass the LEC. The LD provider does not necessarily support assigning caller ID on calls placed via the T1 trunks. That's true even on some regular companies with enough lines to use voice T1's.