Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9801 by gpadick
Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 am
I purchased some new phones the other day: GE DECT 6.0 Multi-handset (3 additional handsets). They work fine but if I used 2 phones I don't get the line 2 to pick up. I hear the conversation on line 1. I have the main phone connected to the Scout and I am wondering if it should be connected to the HUB?

I also don't get the special ring I set up. I only get the ring set up on the phone itself.

And I do have Premier Service.

Thanks for your help.

Dick
#9810 by oomg
Sun May 17, 2009 8:35 am
gpadick wrote:I purchased some new phones the other day: GE DECT 6.0 Multi-handset (3 additional handsets). They work fine but if I used 2 phones I don't get the line 2 to pick up. I hear the conversation on line 1. I have the main phone connected to the Scout and I am wondering if it should be connected to the HUB?

I also don't get the special ring I set up. I only get the ring set up on the phone itself.

And I do have Premier Service.

Thanks for your help.

Dick

I am also using a GE Dect 6.0 cordless system... this one:
http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/s ... submit.y=9

It doesn't matter whether you plug it into the Hub or the Scout (unless your Scout is assigned to the second number). The cordless base station controls each of the remaining units in the cordless system. You can plug a second cordless base station into the Scout. Then all units on that system will automatically pick up a second line if the first cordless system is already in use.

I have the Hub at my H/O desk to which my primary cordless base station is connected. I have a Scout (at my H/O desk) assigned to my second number and a separate Scout at another point in the home which is connected to the Hub via the "Wall" port and home line wiring. A second cordless base station is attached to that second scout. Even if one family member is on a call using the home number, a second call outgoing call may be made on that same number by using the second cordless system. I was a surprised to learn that it worked this way, but as far as I am concerned, it is an added feature.
#9811 by bw1
Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 am
Is it a 2 line phone system? If not, you won't be able to use it for 2 separate phone calls.

See here:
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/article.asp?article=261431&p=12040

Cordless phone system

All of the phones associated with a single cordless base station will function as one phone when connected to any ooma device. Simply plug the cordless phone base into an ooma Hub or ooma Scout device. Please note that in order to get the Instant Second Line feature, you must connect a different phone or cordless base station into another ooma device.

By the way, I bought my mother-in-law a GE Dect 6 phone system with 3 handsets back at Christmas 2006 and she's already had to replace at least 2 of the batteries. Whereas, my AT&T 5.8 GHz system from 2004 is still going fine. Both use Ni-MH batteries. Also, the GE's screen was almost unreadable. I'm not sure if it was always that way. Based on that, and what I've read here, I think I would look at a Panasonic instead of GE for a Dect 6.0 system.
#9817 by Pandora
Sun May 17, 2009 10:37 am
I feed my Ooma hub as line 2 on my home network. Eventually when I port my POTS number it will be on line 1. To accomplish this I will be running 2 Ooma hubs at the same time. One connected to phone line 1, the second connected to phone line 2.

If you want to have 2 line capability on your Ooma phone network, I'd suggest a splitter like this - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage

You could feed the Ooma hub through as Line 1, then the Scout as Line 2. Then connect your Dect 6 to the Line 1 + Line 2 slot. When you select Line 1, it will be your hub, when you select Line 2 it will be your scout.
#9867 by gpadick
Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 am
bw1 wrote:Is it a 2 line phone system? If not, you won't be able to use it for 2 separate phone calls.

See here:
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/article.asp?article=261431&p=12040

Cordless phone system

All of the phones associated with a single cordless base station will function as one phone when connected to any ooma device. Simply plug the cordless phone base into an ooma Hub or ooma Scout device. Please note that in order to get the Instant Second Line feature, you must connect a different phone or cordless base station into another ooma device.

By the way, I bought my mother-in-law a GE Dect 6 phone system with 3 handsets back at Christmas 2006 and she's already had to replace at least 2 of the batteries. Whereas, my AT&T 5.8 GHz system from 2004 is still going fine. Both use Ni-MH batteries. Also, the GE's screen was almost unreadable. I'm not sure if it was always that way. Based on that, and what I've read here, I think I would look at a Panasonic instead of GE for a Dect 6.0 system.

Thanks bw1.

I do have a separate phone on a Scout downstairs and it is the only one that will work on line 2 if line 1 is in use. So the article you passed on to me states it correctly.

Thanks again to everyone on this topic. Your help has been appreciated.
#9882 by bw1
Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am
Re-reading this and what I wrote about the Panasonic vs. GE Dect 6.0 phones, reminds me that I'm waiting for the Telo to get new cordless phones that will work with both lines and voicemail.