Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#111404 by ushomoh
Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 am
I recently switched my phone line to Ooma. This switch has deactivated my home alarm system. The way I understand it from alarm company, the alarm needs a land line phone to work.

Is there anyone with any ideas and experience as to how I get this around this situation? Especially as I am still making payment to the alarm system even when it is clearly not active.

Grateful for any advise.
#111405 by murphy
Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 am
Ooma MUST be wired directly to the alarm's input terminals and no where else.
The alarm's output terminals are used to feed the house wall jacks.
One of the options in the configuration of the Telo phone number is it can be set to "alarm mode".
I have no idea if it works. I kept a budget phone line for my alarm system.
#111419 by ushomoh
Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:34 am
Thanks Murphy.
If I give this info to the alarm company, will they understand and be able to tie the Ooma to the alarm system? Or is there anything I need to specifically let them know?
#111421 by murphy
Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:56 am
An alarm company should already know how to do this. Tell them the Telo Phone port is equivalent to an incoming traditional phone line.

I doubt that they will get involved in the configuration of the Telo.
You will have to do that yourself.
#111524 by Lad
Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm
The previous statement of "the Ooma MUST be connected directly to the alarm panel's input terminals" is not true in all cases. It certainly wasn't in mine.

I got my Ooma Telo a week ago and the Ooma Linx arrived yesterday. Following the advice given in another discussion thread on the Ooma Forums I quickly got my alarm system back up and running using only an RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector and a length of telephone wire.

My alarm panel has a short wire coming out of the box terminated with an RJ-45 male connector. This wire plugs into a small plastic phone connector box that is wired to the phone lines.

Unplugged the RJ-45 wire from the telco box, clipped it into one end of the RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector and plugged a standard phone wire with male plugs into the other end of the connector. Plugged the other end of the wire into the nearby Linx and the alarm box tested fine for communication out to the monitoring station.

Canceled my landline phone service five minutes later, saving me at least $60 a month.

Additionally, I have the "To Telephone" output of the Ooma Telo plugged into one of the wall phone jacks and there is now "Internet Telephone" on all the phone jacks in the house. Don't forget to disconnect the house from the outside lines if you do this.