Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110843 by kbud
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:00 am
I have had Ooma for over 5 years. We love it.

This morning something bizarre happened.

I have made 2 calls to 2 different oral surgeons. Within 2 minutes after the first call, I receive a telemarketing call offering me dental insurance. Within 2 minutes after the 2nd call (to a different oral surgeon) I receive a phone call from Blue Cross/Blue Shield offering me insurance.

Could it be that somehow my phone calls are being tracked and then my number sent to insurance companies???? Kind of like cookies on a computer that display ads to you based on your search queries????

This has never happened before. We are on the Do Not Call list and we receive very few telemarketing calls.

I wonder if this is a new business model for Ooma.
#110847 by kbud
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 am
Only for life insurance about 3 months ago. No one has called about that in about 2 months. Never, for dental or medical insurance.

It's just quite a coincidence how quickly after I made those 2 calls I received calls offering me insurance that is related to the Dr. I was calling.
#110848 by kbud
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 am
holmes4 wrote:Ooma isn't doing this. Possibly the oral surgeons you called are.

I suppose that is possible. One of them I have used before and it didn't happen but that was awhile ago.

It appears someone is. I find it interesting and hoping it stops!
#110853 by MapleOne
Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 am
Ooma would have nothing to gain by doing this. If they sold our numbers they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Unhappy customers are customers who look for a different service. The last thing a company would do is risk their entire business motto by selling their database.

I know for my business I protect my database fiercely and consider it to be one of my biggest assets. Last thing I would ever do is annoy my clients by selling their data.
#110855 by kbud
Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm
MapleOne wrote:Ooma would have nothing to gain by doing this. If they sold our numbers they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Unhappy customers are customers who look for a different service. The last thing a company would do is risk their entire business motto by selling their database.

I know for my business I protect my database fiercely and consider it to be one of my biggest assets. Last thing I would ever do is annoy my clients by selling their data.

I generally agree with this. I would assume it would be against thI eir terms the more I think about it. Of course I think it would be the same for the Dr. too though.

I guess my initial thought was Ooma first though since I don't really understand how they are making any $ from me. Sometimes to get a free service you are then marketed to, like FB, email services, etc.