Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110696 by MLXXXp
Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:56 am
thunderbird wrote:Setting up a static IP address in Ooma Setup may help.

In my case, I don't have a static IP address set in the Telo but I do have my router configured to provide the Telo with a fixed IP address via the router's DHCP server.

When the Telo's logo was flashing red and not connecting, I know it still had the correct IP address, that I had chosen, because I was able to use it to access the Telo's web server on the Internet side.
#110697 by MLXXXp
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 am
EX Bell wrote:Usually my Telo, which is connected via ethernet and has an IP assigned in my router via MAC address, does recover. However, on occasion it does not, but it is not the norm.

Then based on the responses in this thread, it appears that, although uncommon, I'm not the only one that has had this problem. This indicates that it's a firmware or common hardware problem, rather than a problem with my particular unit.

It's kind of worrisome that I might possibly miss an important call until I notice and then manually rectify the problem. For me, it makes it even more desirable to have an audible network outage alert feature:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15577
#110699 by Mensra
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 am
This happens at least monthly with me. i don't know what you consider frequent but every month having to restart my phone system because it crashes is not acceptable.
#110700 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 am
Nothing to lose changing LAN port.
At least when I experienced similar situation, I found my router is to blame doing this.
#110735 by EX Bell
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm
MLXXXp wrote:
EX Bell wrote:Usually my Telo, which is connected via ethernet and has an IP assigned in my router via MAC address, does recover. However, on occasion it does not, but it is not the norm.

Then based on the responses in this thread, it appears that, although uncommon, I'm not the only one that has had this problem. This indicates that it's a firmware or common hardware problem, rather than a problem with my particular unit.

It's kind of worrisome that I might possibly miss an important call until I notice and then manually rectify the problem. For me, it makes it even more desirable to have an audible network outage alert feature:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15577

I never miss an important call. If the Telo is offline it forwards to my cell phone. If I don't answer it goes to voicemail.
#110745 by Katem
Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 am
My ooma has been flashing red for over 8 hours. I have powered down for Two minutes about five different times, modem indicates everything is connected but still cant get the ooma working.
#110746 by MLXXXp
Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:08 am
EX Bell wrote:I never miss an important call. If the Telo is offline it forwards to my cell phone. If I don't answer it goes to voicemail.

As I said in the linked "audible alert" thread, I don't usually leave my cell phone on when I'm at home. Those who leave their cell phone on all the time might consider not having a home phone system at all.

By "important call", I mean somewhat of an emergency. Something that has to be acted upon quickly, where listening to voicemail later doesn't cut it.
#110747 by MLXXXp
Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:10 am
Katem wrote:My ooma has been flashing red for over 8 hours. I have powered down for Two minutes about five different times, modem indicates everything is connected but still cant get the ooma working.

This problem is different than what this thread is discussing, since manually power cycling the Telo doesn't fix things.
#110755 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:00 am
Katem wrote:My ooma has been flashing red for over 8 hours. I have powered down for Two minutes about five different times, modem indicates everything is connected but still cant get the ooma working.

How is your Ooma Device connected Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router Ooma?

What kind of Internet service are you using?

If you are not using DSL PPoeE or the USB Wi-Fi dongle, you could try accessing Ooma Setup, click on the Internet tab, following Connection type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic DHCP. Click on the Update Device Button and then remove power from your Modem, Ooma, and Router.
Repower the Modem. When the modem is done booting, repower the next device in line (Ooma or Router). When the Ooma or Router is done booting, repower the last device.
#110757 by Mensra
Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 am
Last night my Internet service provider lost the network for about nine hours. When it came back I didn't know it because my OOMA did not grab a new IP address. It was still flashing red. I had to power cycle the device before it would reconnect. It appears that the DHCP client on the Telo for the WAN side only functions one time during the initial boot. If the WAN network goes down and comes back up again the Telo will not grab a new IP. You must power cycle it for that to happen. That is poor programming. I confirmed it by disconnecting the WAn for a period of time and then reconnecting it and seeing that the IP is lost.
Last edited by Mensra on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.