Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110648 by MLXXXp
Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:29 am
Is it common for the Telo to loose network connection and then require a manual reboot to recover?

Yesterday morning, I noticed the Ooma logo on my Telo was flashing red, indicating a connection problem. I browsed to the Telo's web server home page and the "Ooma Network" status said something like "waiting to connect" (sorry, I should have noted the exact message). My Internet was up and I had no problem using it with my PC. My configuration is: cable modem to router to Telo.

I left the Telo in that state for over an hour but it didn't recover on its own. I then unplugged the Telo's power adapter, waited about a minute, and then plugged it back in. The Telo booted and established a good connection quickly. I didn't touch the modem or router. The Telo, modem, router and my cordless phone base are all on a common UPS so there was no power glitch or failure.

This is the first and only time I've had this problem, so far, in the 4 months that I've had it running.
#110651 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 am
Not common problem. Try hooking up the Telo on another router LAN port.
#110653 by MLXXXp
Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 am
lbmofo wrote:Try hooking up the Telo on another router LAN port.

Why? I didn't have to do anything to the router to get the Telo to reconnect on the current port when the Telo was manually rebooted.

One, and only one, failure doesn't provide enough statistical data to determine if moving to another port makes any difference. Scientific practice says that you leave things as they are until it fails the same way some more times and then switch ports to see if anything changes.
#110654 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 am
In general, when I had my Hub & Telo connected via LAN, I never had to reboot the Ooma device to regain internet connectivity or VPN to Ooma central. During a small stretch, I had to reboot the Telo periodically. Since I switched the LAN port on the Telo, it has never happened again. The port in question, now, a computer is on it.
#110680 by Mensra
Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 pm
I for one have had this problem more than once. If nobody else is having this problem I find that very hard to believe. I will have OOMA flashing red, until I actually repower it will stay flashing red for an extended period of time.
#110682 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm
Normally when using an Ooma Telo with a network cable connection, it will auto restart by itself when there is a power outage.

When the Ooma Telo is connected to the LAN side of the Router using a network cable, to help with this problem when the Ooma Telo doesn't auto restart when power is restored, some people have had to assign a permanent IP address in their Router for the Ooma Telo.

When using the Wireless Wi-Fi USB network connection, the Ooma Telo auto restart feature has been less reliable.
#110683 by Mensra
Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 pm
This is not a power outage issue because everything is on battery backup. I have my system set up modem to OOMA to router. The OOMA is configured to DHCP from the modem.
#110684 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm
Mensra wrote:This is not a power outage issue because everything is on battery backup. I have my system set up modem to OOMA to router. The OOMA is configured to DHCP from the modem.

Setting up a static IP address in Ooma Setup may help.

In Ooma Setup>Internet page, a Static IP address (obtained from your Modem, found by selecting the Ooma Setup Status tab) can be setup.

If you need help setting up the static IP address in Ooma Setup, let me know.
#110686 by Mensra
Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:43 pm
I cannot set up static IP address because my modem is in bridge mode and assigns an WAN IP to the OOMA from my ISP. The Telo still has an IP, but cannot connect to the OOMA servers.
#110692 by EX Bell
Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 pm
Might be a firmware glitch that pops up on occasion. Usually my Telo, which is connected via ethernet and has an IP assigned in my router via MAC address, does recover. However, on occasion it does not, but it is not the norm.

A TWO MINUTE power down is suggested when this occurs and it will return the Telo to normal.