Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110472 by dsinternet
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:22 am
I looked at the new Staples ad and noticed that the Ooma Telo is on sale for $119 and the Ooma Office is on sale for $199

Ooma Telo
$119.99,after easy rebate, $149.99 - $10 instant savings - $20 easy rebate = $119.99
Valid June 2 - June 8

Ooma Office
$199.99, after easy rebate, $249.99 - $25 instant savings - $25 easy rebate = $199.99
Valid June 2 - June 8
#110506 by Telo_BK
Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:47 pm
Here's post I made regarding a similar too-good-to-be-true deal from Costco:

Re: Office with 3 Linx at Costco for $240 includes shipping

Based on the posts I've read, I will wait until it's out of development- thanks. And based on owning a Telo with a Bluetooth adapter (available since 2010) that could be quite awhile. I've unplugged the BT adapter, BTW. Too many cellphone calls rang and could not be answered via Telo with BT, and too much hassle using more than one headset. It seems that Ooma markets more actively than they engineer. And that was with the Bluetooth adapter that was sent to replace the one that had about two feet of unreliable range. You might wonder whether such a hardware replacement is de-rigueur... Well, I ordered a Telo Air from Costco, and had to have my intermittently functional (or non-functional) Wi-Fi adapter replaced before I got a working one. I also had a problem with the gain at which voicemail is recorded (it's louder than the phone line can handle in most cases, and so is very distorted). Despite my educated protestations that the problem is not in the Telo, Ooma sent me a used replacement, which I returned. They later told me that Engineering has confirmed the problem, but doesn't yet have a solution. Ooma can and should (after all this time) be better!

I also bought a Linx, for a dedicated second line. I have not had a bit of trouble with it. So, if you're counting, that's three of four Ooma devices that were replaced (though one replacement was returned). Now, please ask yourself: Do I want my customers to have to deal with anything other than reliable service? It's company telephone service we're talking about here, after all. Ooma could and should be much better.

I am glad to not have a phone bill (except $3.73 in monthly taxes), and some nifty features. However, virtually every time I talk to someone, we have the "no, you go ahead" talk due to the 300-400mSec delay inherent in Ooma's VOIP. So either party, hearing silence, will start talking at the same time as the other, hearing silence also. Tenths of seconds later we will hear the other party and both will stop and wait, only to repeat the sequence. Is that a bug or a feature? I've also had too many people say they got neither an answer or an outgoing voicemail message. Those calls aren't in the logs, either. I pay for Premiere service, in case you asked.

Now, some on these forums will state something to the effect that "Ooma's customer service couldn't be nicer", or "Ooma at least tries to make things right". Both are true. But will either of those excuses help you regain a lost customer? Ooma must improve. And, for the record, I wish I could trust Ooma for my business calls (and reap the savings).

I personally, wouldn't want to subject my clients to the litany of bugs and shortcomings I've read about; from missing features, to no (actual) music on hold. It's quite enough to have to assist my clients with the issues I am in business for- let alone those of another company, thanks. So I wonder: Is this a deal or an offer to beta test? Ooma could and should be much better.
#110508 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:14 am
Telo_BK wrote:Based on the posts I've read, I will wait until it's out of development- thanks.

You are going to assess how a product works purely based on user forum posts where problems are reported but almost never how well it works? Are you serious right now?

Telo_BK wrote:And based on owning a Telo with a Bluetooth adapter (available since 2010) that could be quite awhile. I've unplugged the BT adapter, BTW. Too many cellphone calls rang and could not be answered via Telo with BT, and too much hassle using more than one headset. It seems that Ooma markets more actively than they engineer. And that was with the Bluetooth adapter that was sent to replace the one that had about two feet of unreliable range. You might wonder whether such a hardware replacement is de-rigueur... Well, I ordered a Telo Air from Costco, and had to have my intermittently functional (or non-functional) Wi-Fi adapter replaced before I got a working one. I also had a problem with the gain at which voicemail is recorded (it's louder than the phone line can handle in most cases, and so is very distorted). Despite my educated protestations that the problem is not in the Telo, Ooma sent me a used replacement, which I returned. They later told me that Engineering has confirmed the problem, but doesn't yet have a solution. Ooma can and should (after all this time) be better!

You and your story of bluetooth and wifi adapter not working...you've leveraged these stories numerous times in trying to point out Ooma products don't work. Well, why don't you tell me why you would need 3 BT headsets paired at the same time knowing full well (as an "electronics design engineer") they have to work in the same room based on BT protocol's intended use (and knowing that only 1 can work at a time)? /viewtopic.php?t=15574#p108494 I know Ooma's spec calls out for max of 4 but I would like to know why you would need 3 BT headsets paired in a regular residential home (perhaps, I can learn something new)? Are you checking out Ooma's product's in a lab setting somewhere (paid for by NetTalk, MagicJack, and/or others)?

Telo_BK wrote:I also bought a Linx, for a dedicated second line. I have not had a bit of trouble with it. So, if you're counting, that's three of four Ooma devices that were replaced (though one replacement was returned). Now, please ask yourself: Do I want my customers to have to deal with anything other than reliable service? It's company telephone service we're talking about here, after all. Ooma could and should be much better.

Well, thank you for telling us one Ooma product actually works well. For your info, Ooma Office uses Linx to provide extensions. So Ooma office package should work very well based on your experience with Linx.

Telo_BK wrote:I am glad to not have a phone bill (except $3.73 in monthly taxes), and some nifty features. However, virtually every time I talk to someone, we have the "no, you go ahead" talk due to the 300-400mSec delay inherent in Ooma's VOIP. So either party, hearing silence, will start talking at the same time as the other, hearing silence also. Tenths of seconds later we will hear the other party and both will stop and wait, only to repeat the sequence. Is that a bug or a feature? I've also had too many people say they got neither an answer or an outgoing voicemail message. Those calls aren't in the logs, either. I pay for Premiere service, in case you asked.

There you go again with Ooma issues with this, Ooma issues with that. FYI, the 300 to 400ms delay you cited are better than your average cell service. You mean to tell me you never succesfully conducted a functional phone coversation on your cell phone?

Telo_BK wrote:Now, some on these forums will state something to the effect that "Ooma's customer service couldn't be nicer", or "Ooma at least tries to make things right". Both are true. But will either of those excuses help you regain a lost customer? Ooma must improve. And, for the record, I wish I could trust Ooma for my business calls (and reap the savings).

I personally, wouldn't want to subject my clients to the litany of bugs and shortcomings I've read about; from missing features, to no (actual) music on hold. It's quite enough to have to assist my clients with the issues I am in business for- let alone those of another company, thanks. So I wonder: Is this a deal or an offer to beta test? Ooma could and should be much better.

Based on your line of posting, I strongly suspect you are planted here by NetTalk, MagicJack, and/or alike to rock the boat here.
#110510 by MapleOne
Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:45 am
For the price I can put up with any minor little bugs. I pay for premier and still think it's worth it because Ooma actively addresses bugs and most times I do absolutely nothing and they get corrected because of feedback on this forum.

The business version.... I will agree with telo_bk, I too will wait a while to make sure all the bugs are out before I install it in my business. I`m waiting for the official announcement that the HD2 is supported with the business version. From what I read that me be a while but I am in no rush.
#110518 by Telo_BK
Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:39 pm
ibmofo: I am an Ooma customer. I want them to improve. I've wasted numerous hours because their problems became my problems. I want Ooma to improve. I am not a customer of any other phone company but Ooma. We ported from Cox a few months ago. I dont regret changing, but resent wasting part of my life helping someone from whom I purchase products and services to solve their problems. Ooma can and should be better. Deal with it, ibmofo. (Those are the facts, and I do not care what you think, but I won't have you besmirching my motives in a public forum.) It seems that you take differing opinions personally, ibmofo. Ooma can't help with that. BTW: I don't see Ooma Office listed in the equipment in your signature, but you comment on it. And you give useful advice about the product and Ooma's services. So, you know- there's a word for someone who preaches something but practices something contradictory.

Here's just one more thought for you. Is Ooma paying you for reducing their customer service burden, ibmofo? Is your time worth anything? How much of your time do you spend posting here? If you want to defend Ooma without question, that is your business. But isn't this about the most expensive phone service you've ever had (that is, if you value your time)?
#110529 by dsinternet
Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:48 pm
I started this post to let people know about a great deal at Staples. I personal have had Ooma and love the plug and play. I don't mess with settings. I have plugged my Ooma into the back of my router and it works. I take it with when I visit family in other states, plug it into their router and it just works. Little work over the last 3 years. Once in awhile I need to restart it (unplug and re-plug it in) and it solves whatever problem I have.
Great product for me. Not everyone has the same experiance with Ooma, but this one person is a happy camper. You can pick it up at Staples if you want it. Give it a try. Test it out with a temp number for a week or two. If you don't like it, then return it. (I think you can return it;right?)
#110539 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 am
Telo_BK wrote:ibmofo: I am an Ooma customer. I want them to improve. I've wasted numerous hours because their problems became my problems. I want Ooma to improve. I am not a customer of any other phone company but Ooma. We ported from Cox a few months ago. I dont regret changing, but resent wasting part of my life helping someone from whom I purchase products and services to solve their problems. Ooma can and should be better. Deal with it, ibmofo. (Those are the facts, and I do not care what you think, but I won't have you besmirching my motives in a public forum.) It seems that you take differing opinions personally, ibmofo. Ooma can't help with that.

Telo_BK, it is not reasonable to expect no push back when you disparage a product you know nothing about and insulting Ooma by calling thier rolled out product "in development."

Telo_BK wrote:Is this a deal or an offer to beta test?

Here are the cold hard facts... You say you got duds of wifi adapter and BT adapter shipped to you (let's say I believe you). Even so, wifi adapter ended up working for you and even the BT adapter worked at the end except it didn't meet your wild & unrealistic expectation of it working with your multiple BT headsets you planned to roam all over the house with. I don't think it is Ooma's fault if you had misconceptions of how BT works (doesn't matter if your cell phone and BT headset combo worked differently or had a better range; more of an exception than the norm based on BT protocol's intended use). What you need is a few DECT 6 headsets meant for your DECT 6 phone base. However, calling Ooma products not working because it doesn't meet your uninformed expectations is absurd. I don't take issues with opinions that differ from mine, I just have problems with unreasonable presumptions.

Telo_BK wrote:My BT adapter just came. Whereas I can be almost anywhere in my home with my BT headset on, and my smartphone on my desk (in a corner of our home), and talk on my smartphone with few areas where the audio breaks up- this is not so with the Ooma adapter. I have the adapter in my office, about 10 feet from my smartphone. It rang the Ooma when my wife called my mobile number, as it should. However, I had to move my smartphone within a few feet of the BT adapter to get decent audio. The range is supposed to be about 30 feet. But it's the kind of micro-dongle having an antenna designed for keyboards and mice located within a few feet of it. No wonder it doesn't work well unless the paired device is within a few feet! It's not even nearly as good (range-wise) as our tiny BT headsets (Motorola HX550).

Telo_BK wrote:I have paired three BT headsets with my Telo. They all always appear in the Telo's setup page in the order in which I paired them. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the way headsets are ordered (their ordinal number) when deciding which prefix (*15, *16, etc.) to dial in order to use a given headset. Short of trial, and error, there doesn't seem to be any way to determine the order in which paired headsets are connected (turned on, or came into range), which determines their order from Telo's POV.
In other words, I have to try *15, and dial a number to see whether a given headset responds, if it doesn't, then I try *16, and so on. That makes the BT adapter nearly useless in our house.
When i was pairing devices, I thought their prefix would be fixed, determined by the order in which they appear in Telo's setup page. But no, the prefix used for a given headset is a variable.
I spoke to Ooma twice about this, and they confirmed that trial and error is the only method to determine how headsets are numbered at any given moment. Who said "ship it" with a show-stopping oversight like this???
How do you deal with that problem?

Because of this, you are calling all Ooma products broke and have "litany of bugs and shortcomings?" C'Mon man!

As for questioning your motives, if nothing else, I am just returning a favor.

Telo_BK wrote:Does Ooma compensate you in any way for your efforts?

Telo_BK wrote:Is Ooma paying you for reducing their customer service burden, ibmofo?

Telo_BK wrote:BTW: I don't see Ooma Office listed in the equipment in your signature, but you comment on it. And you give useful advice about the product and Ooma's services. So, you know- there's a word for someone who preaches something but practices something contradictory.

There is a thing called beta testing. Yes, I have a Telo, an Office, numerous Linx, BT adapter, Wifi adapter, multiple HD2 handsets. All working and fully functional.

Telo_BK wrote:Is your time worth anything? How much of your time do you spend posting here? If you want to defend Ooma without question, that is your business. But isn't this about the most expensive phone service you've ever had (that is, if you value your time)?

Like they say, time is money and I value my time as much as others. But I like to help fellow Ooma users if I have the time. Since I like Ooma, if that's helpful to Ooma, so much better. I don't bicker with how much time I spend on something I enjoy (otherwise, "enjoy" would be the wrong attribute). I don't defend Ooma without question. However, I do enjoy exposing fallacies.

BTW, the harder you try to push your credentials, the more skeptical people may become. But of course, you don't have to change your style. If nothing else, should be of some entertainment value to some:

Telo_BK wrote:As an embedded systems designer, I think someone dropped the ball.

Telo_BK wrote:One more thing. Ooma Telo's USB port is upside-down...Design fail

Telo_BK wrote:I am an embedded systems designer, with lots of experience designing telephony equipment.

Telo_BK wrote:As someone who has designed a good deal of telephone equipment from handsets to switches, analog and digital- I can tell you authoritatively that if "Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side" is a true statement- somebody messed up the design.

Telo_BK wrote:I used to design lots of telecom equipment (back when a switch really was a switch).

Telo_BK wrote:I am an electronic design engineer.

Telo_BK wrote:I design electronic products, and can't think of anything to get this thing back online.

Telo_BK wrote:And I am a certified ISM-band designer, and understand the technology and its applications (but I don't do Bluetooth designs).
#110544 by MLXXXp
Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 am
lbmofo wrote:Well, why don't you tell me why you would need 3 BT headsets paired at the same time knowing full well (as an "electronics design engineer") they have to work in the same room based on BT protocol's intended use (and knowing that only 1 can work at a time)? /viewtopic.php?t=15574#p108494 I know Ooma's spec calls out for max of 4 but I would like to know why you would need 3 BT headsets paired in a regular residential home (perhaps, I can learn something new)?


lbmofo, I have to side with Telo_BK on this one. I've tried various Bluetooth headsets with my Ooma Telo and in my typical 2 story house I've been able to use all of them throughout the house, in the basement, on the second floor as well as the main floor where the Telo is located.

However, a good reason for needing to pair multiple headsets, even if only used close to the Telo and one at a time, would be if family members each had their own headset which they preferred to use. The bug, admitted to by Ooma, where the star codes to control a given headset are not fixed and cannot be determined, presents a problem in this situation.
#110546 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 am
MLXXXp wrote:lbmofo, I have to side with Telo_BK on this one. I've tried various Bluetooth headsets with my Ooma Telo and in my typical 2 story house I've been able to use all of them throughout the house, in the basement, on the second floor as well as the main floor where the Telo is located.

But Bluetooth is for exchanging data over short distances (10m or ~30 feet); closer the better otherwise will experience degradation.

MLXXXp wrote:However, a good reason for needing to pair multiple headsets, even if only used close to the Telo and one at a time, would be if family members each had their own headset which they preferred to use. The bug, admitted to by Ooma, where the star codes to control a given headset are not fixed and cannot be determined, presents a problem in this situation.

Understood. However, this 1 bug does not mean Ooma rolls out products that are still "in development" with "litany of bugs and shortcomings."
#110551 by Tom
Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am
the prefix used for a given headset is a variable

The 69124 beta on your box should resolve this issue.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests