Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109754 by Dayvidpriddy
Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm
Hi,

Does anyone know if the keys on the keypad light up and if so what color?

Also I'd be interested in hearing any reviews that people have on this phone, I know the original phone was trashed beyond belief and I want to know what people think of their updated one before I buy one.

Thanks!
#109758 by murphy
Sat May 11, 2013 2:02 am
Dayvidpriddy wrote:Does anyone know if the keys on the keypad light up and if so what color?

Most of the keys light up.
Call is green.
Hangup is red.
The 5 way button (up, down, left, right, select) does not light up.
All other keys are white.
Last edited by murphy on Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#109770 by MapleOne
Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 pm
I own 4 of these handsets and so far I have never owned a perfect handset. This one does most of what I want extremely well and I would buy it again. The positives outweigh the negatives by far.

Positive
- they sync the entire database ie. call logs, address book etc.
- you can dedicate a number to one specific handset
- you can answer two lines (which is also a con for me because that part is a bit cumbersome)
- you can call screen from all the phones instead of just from the base
- setting DO NOT DISTURB on one phone does them all (you can still shut off ringers interdependently)
- you can program the display to stay on as a clock on your night stand
- you can adjust the display as a night light
- you can use the phone as a baby monitor (or to listen to the young ones downstairs)
- one touch voicemail activation
- you can listen to voicemail on the external speaker
- it goes on and on, great features.

Negative
- the navigation keys are a bit too narrow so you have to be precise
- it is cumbersome to answer line two
- the phone can only be laid down, it cannot stand up without the base.
- redial is too far down the sub menu

There is more of course, but this is off the top of my head. I would buy the handsets again and the cons are small annoyances and not a reason to prevent me from buying them again.

The only thing is the answering of line two you have about 3 keystrokes to get it done and it still seems to hangup for me. I'm sure that there is a trick to it but it hangs up on every family member so that part is definitely not intuitive.
#109793 by Tom
Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am
- it is cumbersome to answer line two

Still need more clarification on this. Answering any call takes one key press (*). Joining an existing call takes 3 key presses (talk-join-line) or with short-cut only 2 (talk-talk). See updated post in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15552

- redial is too far down the sub menu

You mean the "R" button in the lower left corner of the keypad?

(*) The only exception is if you first reject an inbound call by pressing hangup and then decide you wish to answer it anyway. That scenario has an outstanding bug.
#109796 by MapleOne
Sun May 12, 2013 10:52 am
HeHe

Now I feel a bit embarrassed

Yes the R button is on the keyboard

I was using the one in the options menu and thought it was buried a bit too deep. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.
#109797 by MapleOne
Sun May 12, 2013 10:56 am
Tom, I don't know what else to tell you about the whole line one two thing other then when someone is on line one and line two rings it often disconnects instead of answering line two. I don't even attempt to answer anymore when I am on the phone because I figure after 4 rings the second caller will go to voicemail.
#109798 by Tom
Sun May 12, 2013 11:13 am
when someone is on line one and line two rings it often disconnects instead of answering line two.

I updated my post after your post so comment if you like. Questions I have about this line 2 answer:

1. is the person answering the line 2 call using an idle HS or the one engaged on the line 1 call?
2. in the former case press talk as soon as you hear the telo phone ring or once you see the 'Incoming call' screen.
3. in the latter case press talk once you see the 'Call waiting' screen (*)

(*) It won't work right If you press talk before the 'Call waiting' screen pops. We're working to fix that, but as I say in that other thread most people will want to see who is calling before pressing talk.
#109799 by thunderbird
Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 am
MapleOne wrote:Tom, I don't know what else to tell you about the whole line one two thing other then when someone is on line one and line two rings it often disconnects instead of answering line two. I don't even attempt to answer anymore when I am on the phone because I figure after 4 rings the second caller will go to voicemail.

This happens because the HD2 handset processor freezes, or almost freezes, and it can take up to four seconds, when answering a second inbound call, to take effect after the HD2 handset talk button is pushed. By then most people start pushing other buttons on the HD2 handset, to try to get the HD2 handset to work, or to see if that helps to answer the second call. As soon as another button is pushed, the call is lost.

For every other phone system, other then the HD2 handset, when the talk button is pushed, the time between the button push and when the other caller's voice comes on, is instant. But not the HD2 handsets. I will take several seconds; and for a second line call answer, up to four seconds.

This problem has existed from day on with the HD2 handsets and is easy to duplicate.

Four seconds is a long time when you are waiting for information about a love one's sickness condition, or details about a death in the family!
#109802 by Tom
Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 pm
I updated my earlier post. Pressing talk-talk is a good join short-cut.

As for the 4 sec also see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15657
I will enter a bug for this but as I think you say yourself 4 sec is worst case scenario. In my testing I can barely count to 21 twice to complete a regular answer and barely three times to complete a call waiting answer.
#109803 by thunderbird
Sun May 12, 2013 2:03 pm
Tom, you have to remember that you are working in a perfect or near perfect lab conditions when you test.

We out here are using the HD2 handset in the "real world"..