Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109586 by peabody
Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 pm
I currently have blacklisted callers sent directly to voicemail. I believed that would at least give a caller a way to leave a message in case he somehow ended up on the Community blacklist, or even my Personal blacklist, without deserving to be there. But I'm tired of getting one-second voicemails, or robocall voicemails, so I think I should do something else.

There are three other options - continuous ring, "you've been blocked", and "this number is no longer in service". Does anyone have any advice about which of these is the best option?
#109589 by lbmofo
Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm
Since Ooma implemented wildcard blacklisting, I've been pretty aggressive (blocking numerous entire area codes and all toll free calls).

Before wildcard blacklisting, the explicit blacklisted numbers got "continous ring" but I've since changed to "send to VM." I figure dealing with a few VMs is better than not knowing if I am missing some important calls (one example, my credit card company called via toll free which I blocked, left me VM asking to call back because they detected suspicious activity; got replacement cards).

I think sending to VM is best unless you do explicit blacklisting. Entry level treatment option would help tremendously later when the enhancement comes. Then, you can do wildcard blacklisting sending all to VM until you run into a few that leave VMs; you can explicitly block those sending them to "continous ring" or "block message." Here are the collection of blacklist related requests. Here is how I thought Ooma can implement entry level treatment option with most explicit entry taking precedence.
#109595 by peabody
Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm
Your example of your credit card company calling is a good one. However, so far I have used the wild card only to block calls from the Dominican Republic. Otherwise, all my personal blacklist entries are for specific numbers, and I'm pretty careful to Google the number if there's any question at all.

So then that leaves the community blacklist question. I assume, but don't know for sure, that there would be no wildcards in the community blacklist, but rather that it includes only specific numbers that have been blacklisted by a sufficient number of subscribers.

If that's right, then perhaps it would be safe to just have blacklisted callers hear continuous ring.
#109596 by EX Bell
Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 pm
peabody wrote:Your example of your credit card company calling is a good one. However, so far I have used the wild card only to block calls from the Dominican Republic. Otherwise, all my personal blacklist entries are for specific numbers, and I'm pretty careful to Google the number if there's any question at all.

So then that leaves the community blacklist question. I assume, but don't know for sure, that there would be no wildcards in the community blacklist, but rather that it includes only specific numbers that have been blacklisted by a sufficient number of subscribers.

If that's right, then perhaps it would be safe to just have blacklisted callers hear continuous ring.

A matter of opinion really. No right or wrong answer. Mine used to be set to VM, but like you I got tired of the 1 second VM attachments, and they were always solicitors. My personal opinion is a credit card company should not call me from an 800 number because of all the solicitor calls people receive, it reasonable to assume that most people would ignore those call.

So my setting is "Number is no longer in service". I want solicitors to get the message that my number is not an option. If my credit card company wants to get a hold of me, they'll send me an email that says I have "a private message waiting". I then log onto my account and confirm that one is there. There's none of this, click this link to log in nonsense. Those are always phishing emails.