Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109534 by montiamo
Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 pm
Hi everybody,

I have had my Ooma Telo activated since November 2012, and it's operating beautifully. I am on the basic plan and want to port my current AT&T phone number over to Ooma. Several years ago, I was hit with a $14.95 monthly service charge (on my AT&T bill) from some sort of music site named rock<dot>com.

The thing is, I live alone, don't have any kids, and never signed up for this service. Some hacker/ID thief used my name, e-mail addy and telephone number to buy this service. Here's the email I sent to rock<dot>com, and their response:
Me:
Someone (I have no idea who) fraudulently created an email address at Rock under my name and personal information. Since I did NOT create this account, I have no idea what the password or 'reminder question' is. The address(es) is either xxxxxxi<at>rock.com OR xxxxx<at>rock.com OR POSSIBLY BOTH. These people have my name, address, telephone number, and I'm afraid to think what other sensitive personal information they may have. I have been inundated with telemarketing calls and fraudulent charges to my telephone bill since around Feb. 15, 2009, so I'm thinking this is right around the time they created the account(s?) at Rock. I questioned the telemarketers as to how they got my telephone number; and they informed me that "I" had sent them an email with my phone number (from the bogus rock.com address) requesting that they call me to sign up for their services. Please, can you delete the account(s?) as soon as possible? Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter, and I am eagerly awaiting your reply.

Their response:
Hello,

Please contact your local law enforcement and file a report. Investigating officers can subpeona information on the account by contacting us at concierge@rock<dot>com for instructions on where to send the subpeona. We cannot close the account without being able to identify the correct address AND the answer to the reminder question. Obviously we understand you wouldn't know the answer. However as part of the investigation a court order can be obtained to close the account if fraudulent activity can be proven.

Best Regards
Rock<dot>com

Never got a court order, but called AT&T to have them block third party billing.

So now, this same phone number is porting over to Ooma, and this clause in 'Terms and Conditions' has me worried:
(f) Should you incur charges for collect calls or other third-party service billed to your Ooma phone number, Ooma will charge you the cost of the call or service, as determined by the billing party, plus an additional service charge calculated as a percentage of the billing party amount. Failure to pay for these charges may result in suspension or termination of your account.

I would appreciate anyone's comments on this issue. Thanks in advance.
#109552 by lbmofo
Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 pm
Here is my thinking.

Ooma inherently blocks 3rd party billing because it won't let you do anything that costs money without a prepaid account. Even if you have a prepaid account, Ooma won't let you use it for everything. The ony thing that could possibly dip into your prepaid account are international calls, Ooma mobile apps calls, and 411. Nothing else. Ooma won't let you receive collect calls and it won't let you dial 900/976 pay-per-call services.

As for the Terms and Conditions language that you might take issue with...

(f) Should you incur charges for collect calls or other third-party service billed to your Ooma phone number, Ooma will charge you the cost of the call or service, as determined by the billing party, plus an additional service charge calculated as a percentage of the billing party amount. Failure to pay for these charges may result in suspension or termination of your account.

I think Ooma is just trying to protect itself from harm. Because there might be other new ways (not thought of as of yet) to incur 3rd party charges popping up here and then. As long as you don't intenitonally try to incur these 3rd party charges using your Ooma phone number, you should be fine.
#109556 by montiamo
Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 pm
Thanks for responding lbmofo. I just found it extraordinary that a nefarious 'monthly service charge' that I didn't sign-up for could be billed to AT&T on my phone number rather than being billed to a credit card!

Oh well, I'm going to pull the trigger on the number port and pray this doesn't happen with Ooma. Thanks again for your input.