Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109252 by dlockesf
Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:24 am
I have a Telo, connected between a cable modem and a router. About 2-3 times per day I lose Internet connectivity on the computer for 30-60 seconds. Phone service still works, so it's not the cable provider. As an experiment, I removed the OOMA for a couple days and didn't have the problem, so I suspect something in the OOMA is causing this. Does anyone else have this problem?
#109259 by dlockesf
Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am
Thanks, I'm trying that. Heads up for future readers, the setup.ooma.com site has changed and the "use built in MAC" setting is now under the "Internet" tab.
#109260 by EX Bell
Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm
dlockesf wrote:Thanks, I'm trying that. Heads up for future readers, the setup.ooma.com site has changed and the "use built in MAC" setting is now under the "Internet" tab.


If the MAC address setting doesn't do it, also consider looking at external factors that may be influencing internet connectivity if your computer is connected via WiFi. See my post here for more explanation.
#109447 by dlockesf
Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am
Sorry to say that the MAC Address fix helped some. The problem still happens, but less often and shorter periods.

For EX-Bell, I have Panasonic DECT 6 phones too. This hasn't happened when I'm on the phone.

Does OOMA monitor this site or should I contact them?
#109449 by lbmofo
Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Try a different ethernet cable between your Ooma and router. A friend of mine had issues with Ooma coming offline periodically (because of bad cable); weird part is that cable worked just fine used with other devices.
#109451 by murphy
Thu May 02, 2013 1:28 pm
lbmofo wrote:Try a different ethernet cable between your Ooma and router. A friend of mine had issues with Ooma coming offline periodically (because of bad cable); weird part is that cable worked just fine used with other devices.

It's possible to build an internet cable that rings out correctly as far as pin to pin continuity is concerned and have it work poorly because the wrong wires are twisted together.
#109452 by EX Bell
Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm
murphy wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Try a different ethernet cable between your Ooma and router. A friend of mine had issues with Ooma coming offline periodically (because of bad cable); weird part is that cable worked just fine used with other devices.

It's possible to build an internet cable that rings out correctly as far as pin to pin continuity is concerned and have it work poorly because the wrong wires are twisted together.


+1 Definatly try a different ethernet cable and don't use the flat cable that comes with the Telo. Ethernet pairs should always be twisted to cancel out external EMI and crosstalk between neighboring pairs. I don't know who's idea that cable was, but it's pretty, and that's all. Throw it out if you're using it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests