Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109088 by Insomniac
Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 am
I've been an Ooma customer (Premier) for 3 months now. I have 2 issues that make me unhappy. The first is a lag in conversations. I switched from AT&T and since then when I talk to people, I find myself interrupting (and vice versa) a lot. One of us has to stop and allow the other to speak. I don't think this is a duplex issue (how could I check?) but instead a lag that isn't allowing people talking to judge when they can jump in during a "break".

The other issue is a corded phone we have. It rings when a call comes in and when we answer with it, the other person can hear us, but we can't hear them. Also, when picking it up to make a call, no buttons are recognized. Oddly, if a call is established (incoming or outgoing) from another phone, then that phone can be picked up and both parties can hear each other. This seems very odd. The reason I can't replace that phone is that my father feels every cordless phone we have is too quiet and he can't hear people. He heavily prefers the corded phone.

My Ooma Telo is connected to the cable modem first then the router is behind it (Side note, it's ridiculous that if I lose power to the Telo the network is disconnected as well). I have disconnected the house wiring from the phone company and connected the Ooma to the house wiring. The other 2 cordless phones work fine.

Also, here are my speedtest results:

Download Speed: 18099 kbps
Upload Speed: 6764 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 63%
Upload Consistency of Service: 99%
Maximum TCP Delay: 53 ms

Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

I appreciate any help you have!
#109090 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 am
Insomniac wrote:I've been an Ooma customer (Premier) for 3 months now. I have 2 issues that make me unhappy. The first is a lag in conversations. I switched from AT&T and since then when I talk to people, I find myself interrupting (and vice versa) a lot. One of us has to stop and allow the other to speak. I don't think this is a duplex issue (how could I check?) but instead a lag that isn't allowing people talking to judge when they can jump in during a "break".

Sure sounds like a half-duplex problem to me. Check your Modem manufacture's owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure for the Modem. If so, do the Modem Reset procedure per the Manufacture owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to be able to have a successful Modem reboot or reset. Check your Modem manufactur's manual for procedure. Do the Modem Reset, or if there isn't a Reset procedure, do a Modem Reboot.

If your still have problems, try another Modem.
Insomniac wrote:The other issue is a corded phone we have. It rings when a call comes in and when we answer with it, the other person can hear us, but we can't hear them. Also, when picking it up to make a call, no buttons are recognized. Oddly, if a call is established (incoming or outgoing) from another phone, then that phone can be picked up and both parties can hear each other. This seems very odd. The reason I can't replace that phone is that my father feels every cordless phone we have is too quiet and he can't hear people. He heavily prefers the corded phone.
The other 2 cordless phones work fine.

Is the old corded phone set to pulse dialing? If so, set it to tone dialing. Reference https://www.ooma.com/app/support/problem ... ouch-tones

Since the other two phones work okay, you still may have to replace the old corded phone.
Insomniac wrote:(Side note, it's ridiculous that if I lose power to the Telo the network is disconnected as well). My Ooma Telo is connected to the cable modem first then the router is behind it. I have disconnected the house wiring from the phone company and connected the Ooma to the house wiring.

Try connecting the Ooma Telo, Modem-Router-Ooma, per step 2 of the Ooma Telo installation guide located at:
https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf
Insomniac wrote:Also, here are my speedtest results:

Download Speed: 18099 kbps
Upload Speed: 6764 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 63%
Upload Consistency of Service: 99%
Maximum TCP Delay: 53 ms

Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

I appreciate any help you have!

PhonePower Speedtests are good.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#109091 by MLXXXp
Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 am
Insomniac wrote:I don't think this is a duplex issue (how could I check?) but instead a lag that isn't allowing people talking to judge when they can jump in during a "break".

I find that a good way to check for duplex and lag problems is to have the Ooma and another phone system available to you at the same time. Unless you have another non-Ooma land line, you can use a cell phone for the other system. Use the Ooma to call the cell or vice versa.

Putting one phone to your ear and talking into the other will easily let you gauge how must lag exists. If you can mute the phone that you're listening to, it eliminates crosstalk and makes things clearer.

Talking into, and listening to, both at the same time (with both unmuted) may allow you to determine if there is a duplex problem.

Note that some of the delay may end up being caused by the other phone system, but if you don't have noticeable delay problems when using it to call other parties, you can assume that its lag is minimal.
#109098 by Insomniac
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:33 pm
thunderbird wrote:Sure sounds like a half-duplex problem to me. Check your Modem manufacture's owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure for the Modem. If so, do the Modem Reset procedure per the Manufacture owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to be able to have a successful Modem reboot or reset. Check your Modem manufactur's manual for procedure. Do the Modem Reset, or if there isn't a Reset procedure, do a Modem Reboot.

I can restart it or restore factory defaults. However it warns:

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

I don't want to destroy my connection.

thunderbird wrote:Is the old corded phone set to pulse dialing? If so, set it to tone dialing. Reference https://www.ooma.com/app/support/problem ... ouch-tones

Since the other two phones work okay, you still may have to replace the old corded phone.

The phone is touchtone only. I did a little more testing. Connecting it directly to the Telo, it works fine. House wiring, I get dial tone but when I press a key the line seems to go dead while the key is pressed. Power issue?
#109099 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:50 pm
Insomniac wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Sure sounds like a half-duplex problem to me. Check your Modem manufacture's owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure for the Modem. If so, do the Modem Reset procedure per the Manufacture owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to be able to have a successful Modem reboot or reset. Check your Modem manufactur's manual for procedure. Do the Modem Reset, or if there isn't a Reset procedure, do a Modem Reboot.

I can restart it or restore factory defaults. However it warns:

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

I don't want to destroy my connection.

This is a good thing, won't destroy anything.
Insomniac wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Is the old corded phone set to pulse dialing? If so, set it to tone dialing. Reference https://www.ooma.com/app/support/problem ... ouch-tones

The phone is touchtone only. I did a little more testing. Connecting it directly to the Telo, it works fine. House wiring, I get dial tone but when I press a key the line seems to go dead while the key is pressed. Power issue?

Your house wires must be disconnected from the telephone company at the NID, otherwise, will give you issues.
#109105 by Hollywood
Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 pm
Insomniac wrote:The phone is touchtone only. I did a little more testing. Connecting it directly to the Telo, it works fine. House wiring, I get dial tone but when I press a key the line seems to go dead while the key is pressed. Power issue?

I just replied to a similar post that the person had the same issue, her is my reply:

Hollywood wrote:polarity does matter on some older phones. if you have a phone that dials out properly when connected to the ooma, but not when the phone port is connected to a wall port, and the same phone is plugged to another wall jack, THEN take a spare phone cable and cut it in the middle and splice the green wire on one side of the cable to the red on the other side. then the red to the green. If it works, solder and tape and be done. If it doesn't work, your house jacks may not be wired properly.

If you have an older black Telo, remember the WALL port (if it has one) is NOT to be used for your purpose, just the Phone port on the Telo.
#109116 by peabody
Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am
I had the same issue with devices where polarity matters. One way to fix this is to use a phone cord between the Telo and the house phone jack that is a straight through cable. That means if you hold the connectors together in the same orientation, the colors are in the same order on both. A normal phone cord is a crossover cord, and the colors are reversed.

Looked at another way, if the connector clips are both on the same side of the cord (there should be a ridge on one side of the cord), that's a normal crossover phone cord, and it will reverse your polarity. However, if one connector clip is on the ridge side and the other on the flat side, that's a straight through cord, and using it should maintain proper polarity.

You may be able to buy the right cord at Radio Shack, or you could make your own if you have a modular connector crimping kit.

Another alternative is to unscrew the wall plate and reverse the order of the connectors. Or you could do the same thing to the phone itself. But the school approved solution is to use the correct cord, and not mess up the phone or the connector.

If that phone works when plugged into the Ooma directly, but not on the house wiring, it almost certainly is a polarity issue caused by using a normal phone cord to connect the Ooma to the house wiring.
#109137 by Insomniac
Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm
Hollywood wrote:I just replied to a similar post that the person had the same issue, her is my reply:

Hollywood wrote:polarity does matter on some older phones. if you have a phone that dials out properly when connected to the ooma, but not when the phone port is connected to a wall port, and the same phone is plugged to another wall jack, THEN take a spare phone cable and cut it in the middle and splice the green wire on one side of the cable to the red on the other side. then the red to the green. If it works, solder and tape and be done. If it doesn't work, your house jacks may not be wired properly.

If you have an older black Telo, remember the WALL port (if it has one) is NOT to be used for your purpose, just the Phone port on the Telo.

I cut the wire and reconnected them and it does indeeed work fine. (I was not using the WALL port.)

peabody wrote:I had the same issue with devices where polarity matters. One way to fix this is to use a phone cord between the Telo and the house phone jack that is a straight through cable. That means if you hold the connectors together in the same orientation, the colors are in the same order on both. A normal phone cord is a crossover cord, and the colors are reversed.

Looked at another way, if the connector clips are both on the same side of the cord (there should be a ridge on one side of the cord), that's a normal crossover phone cord, and it will reverse your polarity. However, if one connector clip is on the ridge side and the other on the flat side, that's a straight through cord, and using it should maintain proper polarity.

You may be able to buy the right cord at Radio Shack, or you could make your own if you have a modular connector crimping kit.

Another alternative is to unscrew the wall plate and reverse the order of the connectors. Or you could do the same thing to the phone itself. But the school approved solution is to use the correct cord, and not mess up the phone or the connector.

If that phone works when plugged into the Ooma directly, but not on the house wiring, it almost certainly is a polarity issue caused by using a normal phone cord to connect the Ooma to the house wiring.

Thanks for following up. I went with the quick way and modified the cord. Going with the electrical tape to seal it up.