Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108944 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm
I have a client who is having an issue where incoming call waiting disconnects her current call when she tries to answer it with the flash button on her Panasonic handset. If she ignores the call waiting, she is eventually disconnected from her current call anyway, so ignoring does not help.

She doesn't want to disable call waiting in her account as she had the feature with Bell Canada and wants to continue to use it with Ooma. I've had her check if Enhanced Call Waiting was enabled on her phone and it is not.

Initially she received a defect Telo, but we replaced it and everything is working properly except for this. Her internet is Bell Fiber to the Node and there is no issue with Speed or latency. I installed and configured a separated Cisco router to handle QoS, so it's nothing like that. She is connected via the WiFi adapter, but signal strength is 60% and an IP for the WiFi adapter's MAC address is reserved in the router. QoS is manually configured to 80% of her upload for the WiFi adapter via MAC address.

If you look at my signature, her setup is nearly identical to mine. The only difference is I don't use WiFi with my Telo. However, nearly every client I have setup on Ooma is using the identical configuration to hers, with WiFi. This is the first time I've heard of this problem when it was not caused by the Enhanced call waiting features of the phone.

Any ideas? Is this a server configuration issue in Palo Alto?
#108949 by murphy
Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm
Does her Panasonic handset use the 2.4 GHz band?
If it does it could be interfering with the Telo's WiFi communication to the router.
Try a hard wired phone and see if the problem still exists.
#108950 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 pm
Nope. DECT 6.0 just like mine.
#108959 by MLXXXp
Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:55 am
EX Bell wrote:I have a client who is having an issue where incoming call waiting disconnects her current call when she tries to answer it with the flash button on her Panasonic handset. If she ignores the call waiting, she is eventually disconnected from her current call anyway, so ignoring does not help.

I don't know about disconnecting if call waiting is ignored but for the disconnect when the flash button is pressed:
My Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone system allows you to set the flash duration. You could play with that setting to see if it affects anything.

To test:
  • Push "talk" or "speakerphone" on the handset to get a dialtone.
  • The "1" symbol on the Telo should change colour to red.
  • Push the "flash" button.
  • The "1" symbol on the Telo should go back to blue and the "2" should change to red.
  • Each subsequent push of "flash" should alternate between line 1 and line 2.

If, with the above test, only line one goes red then the flash duration may be too long or short.
#108960 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 am
I'll have her test that. Could be that the disconnect when she ignored the call waiting was coincidental. Thanks for the suggestion.
#109280 by karnold002
Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:33 am
MLXXXp wrote:
EX Bell wrote:I don't know about disconnecting if call waiting is ignored but for the disconnect when the flash button is pressed: My Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone system allows you to set the flash duration. You could play with that setting to see if it affects anything.

To test:
  • Push "talk" or "speakerphone" on the handset to get a dialtone.
  • The "1" symbol on the Telo should change colour to red.
  • Push the "flash" button.
  • The "1" symbol on the Telo should go back to blue and the "2" should change to red.
  • Each subsequent push of "flash" should alternate between line 1 and line 2.

If, with the above test, only line one goes red then the flash duration may be too long or short.

Timely advice and a great test procedure, thank you. My Panasonic also would simply hang up on people when doing a flash during call waiting.

Noticed my phone (non-DECT) had a settable flash time between 90ms and 600ms. Pre-Ooma we used 600ms. Turns out that setting it exactly at 250ms was the answer for us. That would be a nice tidbit to document somewhere - I searched everywhere before finding this post and bumping the flash time one setting at a time.

Thanks again. :D