Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108686 by jgmace
Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 am
I just started using OOMA a couple of months ago. I have a monitored alarm system that dials out to the central station. I am wondering if I purchase a Lynx and plug the modular jack into that do you think the alarm system will once again be able to dial out. I switched from Uverse service and have disconnected the phone line from them and I am feeding the ooma dial to to the existing wall jacks. I unfortunately do not have a hard wired jack in the utility closet. I have attached a photo od the alarm panel and plug set-up. I also have premier service.

alarm.jpg
Alarm Panel Photo
alarm.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
Last edited by jgmace on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#108687 by murphy
Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 am
How far is the alarm panel from where the Telo is located?
If the distance is too far for a reliable connection, the Linx could be located closer to the Tels and a phone cord run back to the alarm panel.

The Linx can't be put inside of the alarm metal box. It connects to the Telo via radio.

I don't know how well it would work.
You may be the first to suggest this configuration.
#108688 by jgmace
Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:30 am
Thanks for the reply. The telo is on the first floor and the alarm panel in in the basement. The line of sight distance is about 20 feet or so and down one floor. I was planning to put the lynx on the top of the alarm box not inside it. As you can see I have power available under the box. Running a new line might be difficult as the basement is finished with sheet rock ceilings. Not impossible to do, but somewhat difficult.
#108741 by jgmace
Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 am
I am going to try to temp connect to an existing jack downstairs. I assume there is a line capture function on the panel. There are 4 wires connected to the phone line on the panel. Green and red to the tel line and black and white to the phone. Is the phone inputs to capture the line? If I hookup as is, is there any possibility of damage to the telo?
#108742 by murphy
Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 am
jgmace wrote:I am going to try to temp connect to an existing jack downstairs. I assume there is a line capture function on the panel. There are 4 wires connected to the phone line on the panel. Green and red to the tel line and black and white to the phone. Is the phone inputs to capture the line? If I hookup as is, is there any possibility of damage to the telo?

The panel needs to capture the line so the Telo's phone jack would be wired direct to the green/red and the black/white used to feed the telephones jacks in your house.

There is no danger to the Telo as long as the old phone company's wires from the street are disconnected.
#108743 by jgmace
Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:10 am
Great, Thanks. I'll try it later today and see if it works.
#108751 by jgmace
Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 am
Ok, Got the adapter, plugged in line to wall jack and adapter and tried to plug in the alarm panel and it apparently is a Cat5 connector due to the four wires. Back to square one.
#108757 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 am
jgmace, for your reading pleasure: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12131&start=30#p92717

Your setup looks like what's described in the link. Not sure how much Uverse messed with your setup from the POTs days but if your setup is the same as during when you had POTS.... here is what I'd do.

From anywhere in the house, send Ooma dialtone out to the NID via pair 2 and then connect pair 2 to the input of the alarm at the NID, then at the NID connect your house pair 1 to the output of the alarm.
#108760 by jgmace
Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 am
Do I need to go through the NID? If I hookup to a jack with ooma dial tone to the output (phone or tel line, not sure which one) on the alarm panel will it call out? I am not concerned with line capture. We only use the alarm when away.