Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108492 by Telo_BK
Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:31 pm
I ordered a Bluetooth adapter from Ooma on a "risk-free trial". The first one was defective, the replacement worked. (BTW: I had the same experience with the wireless adapter.) However, as-designed, it is useless. Ooma assured me that it will pair with up to seven devices, of which four may be headsets. That's absolutely true. What they didn't tell me is that there is no way of determining which headset is first, second, third- except by trial and error. So there's no way to know, for example, which prefix to dial (e.g. *15, *16, etc.) to use a specific headset for a given call. The numbering of the headsets could (and does) change at any time. That, obviously, makes the BT adapter useless for headsets except in installations where only one BT headset is involved. Ooma should reasonably have known this long ago, and fixed the firmware. But they continue to sell an accessory that is defective for the purpose and operations they claim in their communication to consumers.

Now, Ooma says it's a risk-free trial. Yet they will not refund the shipping charge, nor will they issue a return shipping label. This is not specified in the literature available on Ooma's website. How is that risk-free? Is that not misleading?

Ooma's service is overall very good, but there are some details that make me uncomfortable, and need to be resolved if Ooma is to continue to enjoy their current reputation. I feel that the company has taken advantage of me. I also feel that the poor initial quality of their accessories betrays an attitude that is not consumer-friendly.
#108494 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm
Telo_BK wrote:there's no way to know, for example, which prefix to dial (e.g. *15, *16, etc.) to use a specific headset for a given call. The numbering of the headsets could (and does) change at any time. That, obviously, makes the BT adapter useless for headsets except in installations where only one BT headset is involved. Ooma should reasonably have known this long ago, and fixed the firmware. But they continue to sell an accessory that is defective for the purpose and operations they claim in their communication to consumers.

I am surprised to find out about this bug. For sure, the bug shouldn't be there. I am curious though about your use....you want to (and seemed to have) wonder around the whole house using your BT headset....although BT range is supposed to be roughly 30 feet, with bluetooth devices, the closer, the better. The protocol is designed to work between devices within arms reach. Certainly not designed to penetrate walls and such. So not sure if your expectation on the range front is realistic. Another thing, perhaps, I am not savvy enough...but if you are supposed to be in the same room as the Telo when using these BT headsets, why would there be a need for 4 different headsets? Especially when only 1 can work at a time. I was wondering about that spec when Ooma came out with the BT dongle. More than 1 phone, yes but multiple headsets? Didn't understand that at all.

Telo_BK wrote:Now, Ooma says it's a risk-free trial. Yet they will not refund the shipping charge, nor will they issue a return shipping label. This is not specified in the literature available on Ooma's website. How is that risk-free? Is that not misleading?

That's how most returns work right? Buyer ships the item back to get refund? Even if you win a PayPal resolution case (this is even when they decide in your favor involving a seller selling knock offs), you still have to cough up the money to ship the merchandise back don't you? I suppose what Ooma means by "risk-free" is that you can return it no questions asked and not that it won't cost you some bucks in shipping.

If you are looking for official wording on this:

https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

4 Return of Equipment and Refunds

(a) Purchases Directly from Ooma: If you bought your Equipment directly from Ooma, you may return the Equipment to us within 30 days of the date you received the Equipment (or as otherwise required by law) and we will refund the purchase price to you, provided that you

(1) return all of the equipment that you purchased from us within 14 days of termination of your account, in original condition, original packaging preferred;

(2) terminate your account with us within the same 30-day period;

(3) return original proof of purchase with the Equipment, together with all parts, and accessories;

(4) obtain a valid return authorization number from our customer care department prior to returning the Equipment to us by calling 888-711-6662; and

(5) pay all costs of shipping the Equipment back to us. You may return Equipment for a refund only once. We reserve the right to charge a restocking fee as may be posted on our web site from time to time.

(b) Retail Customers: If you bought your Equipment from a retail store, dealer, or other provider ("Retailer"), rather than directly from Ooma, you may not return the Equipment to us. If permitted by the Retailer, you may return the Equipment to the Retailer, in which case the return will be subject to the Retailer's return policy.

(c) Subject to law, there are no refunds for unused service terms and all Service charges, taxes, fees and prepaid balances are non-refundable.

Telo_BK wrote:Ooma's service is overall very good, but there are some details that make me uncomfortable, and need to be resolved if Ooma is to continue to enjoy their current reputation. I feel that the company has taken advantage of me. I also feel that the poor initial quality of their accessories betrays an attitude that is not consumer-friendly.

Ooma has been and will always do things right and never tries to short change people. Sure, as with any company, there would always be complaints from a handful few....but in my experience, these complaints against Ooma arose mostly from out of whack expectations.
#108495 by Telo_BK
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm
I didn't mention the range in my post. As to why I use a given number of headsets that's immaterial. My intended use falls within Ooma's product claims- which is why I purchased the accessory after querying Customer Service a few times. I am not going to litigate this with a peer in these forums. But, thanks just the same for your interest. I appreciate that you are an experienced and knowledgeable user and try to help others.