Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108286 by kidnp
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 am
I have a neighbor who is a ham radio operator. At various times each day or night, he accesses his system, and my Ooma goes crazy. It starts running through cycles of changing the volume, paging the handset, etc (and scaring us all since it starts talking loudly to itself in the other room!). We have tried using the RF snap choke cores on every line attached to it (phone, ac, ethernet) with no result. Only option is to unplug Ooma. Any suggestions out there for how to block the interference? Thanks!
#108289 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm
kidnp wrote:I have a neighbor who is a ham radio operator. At various times each day or night, he accesses his system, and my Ooma goes crazy. It starts running through cycles of changing the volume, paging the handset, etc (and scaring us all since it starts talking loudly to itself in the other room!). We have tried using the RF snap choke cores on every line attached to it (phone, ac, ethernet) with no result. Only option is to unplug Ooma. Any suggestions out there for how to block the interference? Thanks!

First there may be a concern about a radiation health hazard from a misdirected ham Radio transmission. I remember one time that the signal was so strong that every time the ham radio operator would key his mic, the fluorescent lights in the next door neighbor's kitchen would partly light up.
http://www.arrl.org/rf-radiation-and-el ... eld-safety
http://www.w3beinformed.org/id74.html

Here is a site where you can file a complaint, for ham Radio interference.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html

First, I'd contact the person causing the problem and see if he will self correct it. Through the years I've worked around or with several ham radio operators. It has always been my experience that ham operators don't want to cause problems, and want to know if there are problems, so they can correct them.
#108524 by kidnp
Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm
Thanks Thunderbird! I will read the sites you suggested and see what I can find out. Unfortunately, this person is not particularly friendly or willing to discuss the subject of his radio interference. We approached him some years ago about his voice coming through our phone, stereo, etc, and he just told us to buy the RF snap chokes. I did already file a complaint with the FCC and basically got a form letter back saying he was a licensed operator, end of story. So that's why now I'm just looking to see what I can do on my end to solve the problem with the transmissions triggering my Ooma!
#108525 by southsound
Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm
I've found that my safe room works not only to protect me from harmful brain scanning rays that the government routinely uses to decipher my thoughts but also reduces the RFI from a neighbor who is poses as an amateur radio operator but is really an alien special agent. Oops - time for my evening meds.