I was one of the original Ooma users, and my hub died today.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
plasmo

I was one of the original Ooma users, and my hub died today.

Post by plasmo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:13 pm

So, I've been a very happy Ooma user for many years now, and have been using the original Ooma hub...

Today it looks like my unit died (cannot power on anymore / no lights when plugged in) :( ?is it really dead or anyone know any tricks to fix this? (i already tried to hard reboot with holding down the blue button which no longer lights up at all).

Obviously I have saved a bunch over the years, and the Ooma has paid for itself many times over.
Anyway, I have not kept up with the current Ooma units or new models, and was wondering if there was anything new I need to know about these Telo units etc. I see that there is now a tax.

Also, does anyone know if I will need to re-Port my phone # if I decide to buy the new Telo unit, even if I already have an Ooma phone # account established?

THANKS!

Hollywood

Re: I was one of the original Ooma users, and my hub died today.

Post by Hollywood » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm

have someone with a voltmeter test to be sure the power adapter is working. a replacement for that would be fairly standard (using the specs printed on it) if that was all it is.

plasmo

Post by plasmo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Hollywood wrote:have someone with a voltmeter test to be sure the power adapter is working. a replacement for that would be fairly standard (using the specs printed on it) if that was all it is.
That is a great idea. Thanks

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 pm

If you find that your hardware is really dead, then get a new Ooma and call customer service to do a hardware swap. No cost to do a swap if Ooma hardware is new.

Telo is $129.99 in Costco. Calculate your monthly taxes here: https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 am

Do not activate the new unit or connect it to your network before you call customer support to do the swap.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomg

Post by oomg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 am

Or if you are like me and really like the Hub/Scout, you can try to find another Hub? There are some out there being offered on the used market places. There are even a few out there that have never been activated. Don't forget that Ooma will charge about $80 to transfer one that has been previously activated.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

Fort Wayne Bill

Post by Fort Wayne Bill » Sun May 26, 2013 12:09 pm

I am a Newbee to Ooma. I installed a "new" Ooma Hub and Scout (did not use the Scout, however, as I don't think we have a need for it). I purchased the unit on e-Bay for $100. It had never been activated before so the only fee I was charged was the $39 to port my old landline number. That porting only took four days. I think e-Bay may be your best source for used and "new" units (there are 10 such units on e-Bay as of this time, I just checked). If the unit has been activated before there will be a $79 reactivation fee from Ooma. Hope this helps you. :D :D