Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109062 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am
If the number you got from Ooma when activating the device is not what you are going to use, then no issues.
Make sure your profile/account name is correct before you initiate number porting. When you port in your number, Ooma provisions the ported in number's outgoing callerid based on your account name. If you do care about what the Ooma assigned number shows as far as outgoing callerid, check http://tnid.us to see what the callerid is. If not what you originally had in your profile/account name (give it a month since activation), that means Ooma outgoing callerid provisioning didn't happen according to plan. You can call Ooma support to have them provision outgoing callerid (no charge to you). If the callerid name is what you had in your profile name and you want to change that, then $19.99.

I also noticed that you want to have a fax connected to your Linx and then have "fax" number only ring the Linx connected phone (fax machine)? If so, once you have 2 numbers in your account, you go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and setup your Linx device (give last 6 digits of the DECT ID) and then add a private account and put this Linx device you setup into the private account and assign 1 of 2 numbers you have to this private account.
#109132 by Lord Vader
Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 pm
oomg wrote:
murphy wrote:It is a valid charge.

https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

There is no question that Ooma has the authority to impose these charges based on their terms and conditions. However, I do not see any particular reason why it could not be handled by the individual subscriber as a selected item on the preference pages. If there is a concern about temporary or repeated changes for "spoofing" purposes, simply limit the ability to make changes to once every six months (or 90 days, or ??).

At one time not too long ago--last fall, for example--there WAS no charge to change your Caller ID info. For those who dispute this, I'm living proof. On one of my additional numbers, I had my Caller ID info as my name. Well, for Christmas I decided to play a game with my nieces (both young kids), so I went online and changed my Caller ID to "Santa Claus" and called my nieces and disguised my voice. I was NOT charged a thing to do this. After I had my fun, I changed it back to my name, again at NO charge.
#109135 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm
Lord Vader wrote:
oomg wrote:
murphy wrote:It is a valid charge.

https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

There is no question that Ooma has the authority to impose these charges based on their terms and conditions. However, I do not see any particular reason why it could not be handled by the individual subscriber as a selected item on the preference pages. If there is a concern about temporary or repeated changes for "spoofing" purposes, simply limit the ability to make changes to once every six months (or 90 days, or ??).

At one time not too long ago--last fall, for example--there WAS no charge to change your Caller ID info. For those who dispute this, I'm living proof. On one of my additional numbers, I had my Caller ID info as my name. Well, for Christmas I decided to play a game with my nieces (both young kids), so I went online and changed my Caller ID to "Santa Claus" and called my nieces and disguised my voice. I was NOT charged a thing to do this. After I had my fun, I changed it back to my name, again at NO charge.

You mentioned this before....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15102&start=10#p105257
I am trying hard to remember whether the outgoing callerid was editable...you might be right that it was editable....
However, the family you called also has Ooma? If their provider is not Ooma, that means Ooma provisioned your callerid in CNAM everytime you edited it. How long did it take for the changes to stick? Do you remember?
#109138 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:11 pm
Lord Vader wrote:No, the two families I called didn't have Ooma. One had Vonage; I don't know what the other has.

I did, indeed, edit it online. The changes took effect rather quickly, usually within a couple minutes, IIRC.

Are you sure this "Santa" incident wasn't when you were with Vonage?
I just went back and looked at some emails I exchanged with Ooma about outgoing callerid, as far back as June 2011 and Nov 2011, there was no way to edit "outgoing callerid." (I thought if I updated my account profile, the Ooma on-net outgoing callerid name would reflect my name in profile) For sure, back then, the "Caller-ID Name" field under phone number management wasn't edit-able; otherwise, I would have tried to edit it to do what I wanted.
#109139 by Lord Vader
Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm
Considering that I've had Ooma for the last few years, no, I wasn't with Vonage.

I'm telling you, Caller ID was editable, at no charge, as recently as last fall (at least on my non-primary line, it was). I even edited it to "God" as a joke once and called my parents from that number. I knew they wouldn't recognize that number, so I changed it to "God" and called them. After the call, I changed it back.

BTW, I don't know if it's significant, but this was all possible after I purchased this $4.99/month add-on number and when originally configured, I didn't set a name. I had left that blank. Only shortly afterward did I set a name then have the aforementioned fun with the Caller ID.
#110996 by wondering
Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:38 am
I just called customer service and was told it would be $20 to change. My complaint, besides that I just paid $210 for the Telo & Handset, plus $100 for Premium and now they want to charge me another $20 to change my caller ID, is that when I was setting up the account I don't remember anything at all that said "this is going to be your caller ID", I would have never set it up the way it is coming up. I will pay the $20 because I have to but it feels really wrong.
#111004 by phoenixtommy
Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:37 pm
I just hooked-up my Ooma two months ago. I ported in my two numbers one at a time. One was free with Premium membership. The 2nd number was $39.95. I have no complaints on this. Yes, my name shows up as JOHN SMITH on that page. I was happy when I ordered my porting.

However, the caller ID shows up at the other end as SMITH JOHN.

My complaint is that I wasn't given the choice when I paid $39.95 to port the numbers and now have to pay to make a small change. Yes, I know it a quibble. But I prefer one over the other.