Inbound Caller ID Block Yet Voicemail Msg Includes Tel Num

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bobbyb626

Inbound Caller ID Block Yet Voicemail Msg Includes Tel Num

Post by bobbyb626 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Scenario: Inbound call from blocked number displays "Out of Area" on telephone device. If inbound caller from blocked number leaves a voicemail message, the OomaVoiceMailNotify provides the blocked number in the subject line and uses the number as the name of the message .wav file.

I read somewhere that ALL calls are transmitted with a number - even those that are "blocked." I guess that's how blocked numbers can be seen by some call centers including emergency services.

Unfortunately, the Ooma support tech I chatted with online was unaware that the voicemail message subject line and wav file both included the blocked number.

Questions: If the Ooma device is actually able to obtain the "blocked" number info and use it in the voicemail message, why can't it display the number on the telephone device - especially if the blocked number is in my Ooma Contacts list?

Many thanks -

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Inbound Caller ID Block Yet Voicemail Msg Includes Tel Num

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:14 pm

This is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming server release. The voicemail should not expose the anonymous caller's number.

Aubuchon

Post by Aubuchon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

Is there any way to block the upcoming server release update or can you target specific telos to not receive the update? I would love to be able to see incoming numbers that have been blocked.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:42 am

This is an FCC requirement.