Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#107265 by MRJQUACH
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 am
Hello everyone, can someone please help me?

So I bought my Ooma phone a month ago, and at the time, I was using Bell Canada as a service provider. I wanted to keep the same telephone number as my Bell service, so I immediately signed up for a number port. After my number port was deemed successful about 15 days later, I called Bell to cancel my service and they said it would take 30 days after that day. So finally, here I am today, with my Bell service finally cancelled. I tried my Ooma phone to see if it works; I can make outgoing calls (shows my ported number) but I cannot receive incoming calls ("the number you have dialed is not in service").

After calling Ooma's customer care, they said the only thing I can do is reactivate my Bell service with that number, and then put in another port request, and then once that is completed, I can cancel Bell AGAIN. Honestly, I want nothing to do with Bell because i've had a bad experience with them, is there anything I can do? Also, doesn't that seem redundant because I will be doing the same thing again (ie. having Bell service, porting, then cancelling; what if the number doesn't port AGAIN?)

Thanks in advance
#107266 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am
Porting deemed "successful." How did you get that conclusion? Email/voicemail from Ooma? Looking at your porting status here: https://my.ooma.com/porting_status ? Does my ooma porting status still tell you port is complete? When porting is complete, you are supposed to receive incoming calls on the ported number (using Ooma); were you able to receives calls via Ooma and the ported in number? Let's start from that answer to figure out what to do next.
#107268 by MRJQUACH
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 am
Yes, it said that my porting status was complete on MyOoma account and I also received an email with the exact date (Jan 11). Once my number was ported however, my Bell service was still intact and my number was still working on the Bell landline. I was waiting for the service to be cancelled (which was pending for Feb 22) thus when I thought my number would be working on my Ooma phone.
#107272 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am
First thing to try is to have people with different carriers call your number. Say 2 different cell phone carrier and maybe another landline or VoIP company customer (non Bell Canada). See if they are able to reach you. There is a chance that only Bell Canada customers are the ones having issues reaching you. In that case, just have one of their customers complain to Bell Canada "not able to reach a working number."
#107274 by MRJQUACH
Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am
I've called from 2 different numbers, both of which are from different carriers. I think the problem is that Bell didn't release my number to Ooma to be ported, however there must've been some kind of miscommunication because Ooma says the port was "completed and successful".

So, I wonder since my number is deactivated, can I re-activate my Ooma account somehow and choose that number?
#107279 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 pm
These 2 different numbers you called from and couldn't reach your number....are not Bell Canada?

If your porting status says port complete, then maybe they are complete but Ooma (Ooma's carrier that services your phone number) just didn't take the number (update industry database with new routing path).

I would call Ooma customer support and ask for higher tier agents in the porting department. Need to have them look into why your number is not reachable by others when port is complete. They should have a good explanation once they investigate. Hard to believe port status is marked as complete when it wasn't complete so hopefully Ooma just need to do something from Ooma's end to fix this. Don't settle for front line reps (they may not know what's going on).