Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#107205 by Aubuchon
Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm
Is there any way to block third party charges such as live chat lines like (qwestchat) that uses toll-free or local numbers instead of the already blocked 900 numbers? Someone in my family has no qualms racking up charges on these questionable services when we had a land line. This is very important to me because it will determine if I can keep ooma or scrap it.I found this in the terms and conditions.
Should you incur charges for collect calls or other third-party service billed to your Ooma phone number, Ooma will charge you the cost of the call or service, as determined by the billing party, plus an additional service charge calculated as a percentage of the billing party amount. Failure to pay for these charges may result in suspension or termination of your account.

I know we can blacklist incoming calls but that's not the issue. I need to block all third-party charges. Anyone?
Last edited by Aubuchon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#107224 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm
I don't think there is a way to block 3rd party charges with Ooma. By default, I think (via logic) Ooma rejects all 3rd party fees because there is no billing (other than history of charges to your credit card) and assumes they are all fraudulent. However, Ooma Terms and Conditions covers this topic in case a 3rd party fee is authorized by you and/or your family and the 3rd party wants to get paid for services rendered. With most bogus 3rd party charges, you don't even have to even try and they'll back down from trying to charge you but with Quest Chat, I'd see them going after you for authorizing charges and then not wanting to pay. I scanned their website and it seems you can only charge via cell phone account and the company doesn't give you landline option.

There is a bill not enacted yet that will ban most 3rd party charges but still won't help if the 3rd party fee is authorized.

Related stories, one is about FCC rule to have landline/VoIP customer notified of option to block 3rd party charges (but only if the company does have the ability to block)
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valle ... hone-bills
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/fcc-not ... say-745423
#107232 by Aubuchon
Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm
I also checked the website and it says
to charge from home phone In US call: 1 900 ***-****$25 for 50 minutes

It's right below the direction on how to charge from cell phone. This sort of places my mind at ease since I know that Ooma blocks 900 charges by default. But I still don't understand why they placed a clause in the terms and condition that not ony says they will charge you for third partry charges but will also charge an additional charge for the third party's billiog amount (as quoted below). Since ooma claims that they block all third party billing then can someome please advise as to how and when the paragraph below applies? Thanks

Should you incur charges for collect calls or other third-party service billed to your Ooma phone number, Ooma will charge you the cost of the call or service, as determined by the billing party, plus an additional service charge calculated as a percentage of the billing party amount. Failure to pay for these charges may result in suspension or termination of your account.
#107243 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 pm
I think TOS language is there just in case someone could still sign up for services paying using home phone.

For example, the Quest site:

To purchase using your home phone

In CA call 1 900 677 4444 $25 for 50 minutes
In US call 1 900 484 2525 $25 for 50 minutes

Cant call 900 numbers using Ooma but what about regular number or toll free?

To bill time directly to your home or cell phone, you can always call QuestChat and listen for the phone payment options in the Member Services area – option 7 in the Main Menu or call our friendly customer service team toll-free at 1 888 975 6565
#107251 by Aubuchon
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 am
The solution to this would be to upgrade the software on ooma so that it enables user to block all outgoing calls to numbers on the Blacklist either by default which would block all outgoing calls on the list automatically or by giving an option to block specific numbers on the list. Then there would be no question or issue.
#107253 by Aubuchon
Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:16 am
Hmmm, that's a rather expensive option so I'll have to pass. I see that thread was started back in 2010 and there's still no Parental Controls to block outgoing calls. I know that ooma updates software on a regular basis and it seems like they would want to be responsive to user's suggestions if nothing else than to slow the amount of churn and to keep customers. If the upgrade would be cost-prohibitive or perhaps it would cause a conflict with another part of the system then that's understandable. But resting on laurels is not a good choice for a company that plans to move forward. Also there's still no T.38 codec for faxing with numerous request to add it back to the system.