Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#107067 by bullman
Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 pm
Hello all,
Quick question on porting.After confirming completion of porting, I called AT&T to cancel my wireline account. They said that a cancellation order was already on my account. Does Ooma request cancellation on my behalf? I thought that they would only request number be ported and not cancel my account.

Also, I can still hear dial tone on my landline. Is that normal?

Thanks for any insights.
#107068 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm
Yes, porting a number out would cancel the phone service. But it is a good idea to check back to make sure it is really cancelled after a few days. You may still get dialtone but you can only dial out and would not be able to receive calls. This dialtone usually goes away after a few days with most landline companies (some areas of country, government requires a dialtone for emergency services whether the landline is active or not).
#107087 by bullman
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 am
Thank you lbmofo for the information. I have to keep checking back with AT&T to make sure that my billing is cancelled. Our friends recently ported over to Vonage, but AT&T kept billing them!