Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#107055 by gellenb
Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:33 pm
I'm been an Ooma customer for a long time now using the old hub and scout. Years ago that was setup, Premier with two number associated with the account, both that I want to keep. I have a cell phone that I no longer need to carry, but need to continue to be able to get calls from that number. I've ported that number between the cell companies in the past, so I'm sure it can be ported. But can it be ported to Ooma as a third number. I see options to add additional numbers to the account, but can I port that into the account I already have as a new third number? My big concern if I can is to do it right the first time, so none of the existing numbers are effected.
#107056 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm
With Ooma Premier, you can have up to 2 numbers. Each additional number will cost you $4.99 per month.

If I were you, I'd port the cell number over to Google Voice and then setup your Goolge Voice to forward calls to your Ooma.

Google Voice has been free and is said to be free until the end of 2013; my bet is that it will be free for a lot longer.

Here is how to sign up to Google Voice (but of course, instead of choosing a number, you would say "I want to port my number") viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077

If you want to go the route of having 3 numbers on your Ooma account, you'd first have to go make sure your account can take 1 more number by adding "personal number" to your account https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/vn

The cost is $4.99 per month but even if you buy this personal number add on, you won't be charged until you add a 3rd number. After buying the personal number add on, you start your number port into Ooma here https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/port The one time cost for porting is $39.99. Then, once number port is done, you'd be set.

There is also the option of just porting your cell number into your Ooma account without buying a personal number add-on. Then, after your port completes, your cell number becomes the primary number of your Ooma, your current primary will become the secondary, your current secondary will drop off from your account. After the number port, you can call customer service to change your cell from primary to secondary if you want.
#107182 by azism
Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am
lbmofo wrote:With Ooma Premier, you can have up to 2 numbers. Each additional number will cost you $4.99 per month.

If I were you, I'd port the cell number over to Google Voice and then setup your Goolge Voice to forward calls to your Ooma.

Google Voice has been free and is said to be free until the end of 2013; my bet is that it will be free for a lot longer.

Okay Ibmofo, I will admit you are a whole lot smarter about Google Voice that I can even pretend to be, but how does that work? With my Premier plan I get a phone number in a different are code so my parents can call me without incurring long distance charges and I have had that number now for at least several years. Is that a Google Voice numbers? This Google Voice is not something I understand at the moment. :?

Could you please clarify? Thanks. :)
#107187 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 am
Google Voice service is provided by Google free of charge at the moment (likely for a long time to come); main intention is to provide people a single number to hand out and via this single number, manage how they can be reached (add cell, home phone, work phone in the Google Voice account to have the Google Voice number ring based on schedule etc). If one opts to go this route of having Google manage all your call routing, all your cell phone, home phone, work numbers would no longer be important (you can change your numbers as often as you want but don't have to hand out new numbers). All your contacts would be able to reach you via this single Google Voice number. With Google Voice, calls within US and calls to Canada are free. For example, you can get a Florida Google Voice number and forward it to your Ariznona Ooma number for free. You can call into your Google Voice number and then dialout from there for domestic or international calls (via prepaid account). All around, it is a nifty service one can really take advantage of. Currently, you can port your number into Google Voice but only if mobile number. A lot of folks wanting to have their home phone number ported into Google Voice, port it to a mobile carrier first to workaround the situation. Here is how you sign up to Google Voice: viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077
#107190 by azism
Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am
Interesting, but what does that do with "Ooma Extensions"? What is the relationship between Ooma and Google?
#107196 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm
Ooma's Google Voice Extension or GVE is just a feature to help Google Voice users that use Ooma as well.

With Premier, you can use your 2ndary (or 3rd) number as a virtual number used for GVE. You can register this GVE number as your home number in your Google Voice account so you can forward your Google Voice number to your Ooma if and when you want to. The cool part of GVE is that you are able to call out using your Google Voice number as the default outgoing callerid. You can also check your Google Voice VM via one touch of Telo button or using a star code via your home phone.

As a Google Voice user, sometimes you just want to hand out 1 single Google Voice number so you want to reflect your outgoing callerid as your Google Voice number no matter how/where you call from. GVE lets you do that with convenience. For smart phones, you can use Google Voice app to do the same (Android phones, even easier). If you are stuck with a traditional phone, you can still do the same by calling your Google Voice number first then dialing out from there to show your callerid as Google Voice number.