Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106717 by ia2ca
Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:43 am
We're new customers of Ooma, and until today everything was smooth. Now I am extremely upset with what has transpired.

My wife purchased the modem from Amazon.com as a Christmas gift for me, and we activated the service in early January. We were so happy with the product, that on 1/17 we paid for the annual premier package and began the number porting process.

Today we noticed a charge on our account that was a little higher than we expected, so we called into 'customer service' (India). We were told that our modem was a "Groupon modem" and require a 10-month subscription. Now, I have no idea why our NEW modem from Amazon is classified as a Groupon modem (whatever that means), but after speaking to a supervisor (again, in India), I was told our only option is to return the modem to Amazon, leaving us without phone service and paying for another number port when we replace the modem.

So here we are with a phone service that is being paid for TWICE (the annual fee AND a monthly fee) or the option of NO phone service at all.

EDIT: The supervisor claims they are reversing the annual fee charge, but since they show it as a Groupon modem, there is nothing they can do. Our only recourse is to return it to Amazon. This seems so simple to fix - just fix the accounting side of it - why make this so difficult for the consumer?!
#106730 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 pm
The question to ask yourself is how much you paid for the Ooma Telo from Amazon? Is it $99 + $5 shipping? If so, you signed up to buy the Telo for $99 plus $5 shipping but committed to 10 month Premier subscription (but you do get a free number port). Look here: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ooma-telo-phone-service

If you paid a different price, I think you can show your Amazon invoice to Ooma and have this situation corrected on the backend. Telo serial number may have gotten mixed up in their database. Another route to go if Amazon shipped you a Groupon Telo by mistake is to explain the situation to Amazon, have Amazon ship you another regular Telo, you call Ooma and swap the device on your account (free) and then ship the mistakenly gotten "Groupon" Telo back to Amazon.
#106845 by ia2ca
Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am
As I mentioned before, I purchased the phone from Amazon, not Groupon. I paid $149 and there was nothing mentioned about a contract, nor was there when I decided to pay in advance for a year's worth of premier service. I wasn't even aware of a groupon deal before this weekend. Only when I caught the billing error and called in to customer service did anyone even mention that this modem was 'special'.

I have already contacted Amazon and they claim they can only provide a prepaid return label. This would leave me without phone service and I would have to purchase another unit (and hope it is a correct one). Customer no-service at Ooma said I would also have to pay for (again) a phone number port since it would be a new account.

So, the question YOU have to ask yourself Ooma, is why put a new customer through the wringer when you could simply correct this on your end. I already confirmed with CS that there is NO difference in the device - just a serial number you have flagged as a groupon device. A few strokes of the keyboard in a database somewhere and this could have been fixed. But instead you expect the customer to go without service for an unknown period of time AND pay for number porting AGAIN?!
#106854 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 pm
You can call Ooma customer service and escalate until someone with power that can fix this issue from the backend. All you need to do is to show your Amazon invoice I think.
#106885 by oomg
Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 pm
I tend to agree... don't stop until you get someone at Ooma HQ. What India is telling you makes no sense at all. To start with, Amazon has nothing to do with Groupon. Second, I am on the bargain email list for Groupon and receive new offers every day. I've never seen anything relating to Ooma being offered by Groupon.
#106886 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm
oomg wrote:I tend to agree... don't stop until you get someone at Ooma HQ. What India is telling you makes no sense at all. To start with, Amazon has nothing to do with Groupon. Second, I am on the bargain email list for Groupon and receive new offers every day. I've never seen anything relating to Ooma being offered by Groupon.

I found such deal with different timeframe though; very possible Amazon was the merchant. But either Ooma made a mistake in the database or Amazon shipped out a Groupon unit. Need to have Ooma's higher level care guys sort this out.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ooma-telo-phone-service
#107084 by janet02762
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 am
Hi, this is not a first but reoccurring issue. I just want to inform people who may be considering ooma of this. I don't use my ooma to much, but my mom uses it all the time. I have it connected between the modem and the router and it seems to like to 'die" in the middle of a phone call. I often notice that I get the red flashing and am constantly resetting the modem and router and ooma, which is time consuming. I'm thinking that I would have been better off just going with the cable bundling, since I get tv and internet through them anyway. I understand it is a "free" service, but the portal was not cheap by any standard.
#107110 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm
The condition you are describing makes me think it is your internet setup having issues. I helped a family member with same disconnect issue mid call once; modem was acting up periodically. Replacing modem solved the problem going on 2 years now. Before blaming everything on Ooma, look into your network first.