Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106690 by 2898130999
Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:11 pm
What is everyone's experience with number porting? We are currently on Bell Canada (905 area code, Ontario). I put in the porting request (with Ooma) on February 4. The initial date for porting was March 4 - it's now been bumped to March 12. That's five weeks - seems like it should be a lot less.

My initial discussion with Cogeco (cable provider) indicated it took them 5 working days. That was confirmed twice (I bought my Ooma because they wanted ~$23/month for the service - might as well stick wtih Bell).

I appreciate that the porting is really out of Ooma's hands - they put in the request to Bell and then wait. Anyone had a good experience in speeding up this process? If so what did you do?

I have the Ooma Premier for two months (just like everyone else) but I'm not going to get much out of it. We're not even using the Ooma our current number will go away so why publish?

Thanks everyone, Steve.
#106692 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:20 pm
The 5 days that cable company estimated is just an estimate. That's how fast they usually turnaround but the timeline depends on the losing carrier. The losing carrier dictates when the port will finish for a particular number. Some numbers may port fast, some maybe slower even with the same losing carrier.

In Canada, porting may work a little differently than US but I think they should pretty much be the same. There are cases where porting is not "simple," meaning it will have to take more time. The timeline you see as far as estimate is what was provided by your landline to Ooma (or to Ooma's partner carrier that will service your number; negotiation on dates goes on between your landline and Ooma carrier so Ooma just reports the results/progress to you). No way to speed it up; only thing you can do is to monitor your porting status and get back to Ooma as soon as you see any steps requiring your attention.