Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106526 by nicholshornlake
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm
Has anyone had success in dry looping dsl and cancelling home phone service with att. I'm not wanting to port my phone # , just to drop their home phone service and keep dsl so telo will work. I've been given the number for bell south in Jackson, Ms., the number for the save desk team at att and all kinds of junk. Does anyone know the correct procedure that will work?If so will you kindly give me step by step details on how to proceed. Thanks all.
#106547 by nicholshornlake
Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm
I believe I finally got it taken care of. Guess it is just according to who you talk to that knows their job. Supposed to be changed over tomorrow. I hope.
#106649 by tbates57
Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 pm
Hi from Oxford.
I had my AT&T voice+DSL line separated about two years ago. I can't remember if there was an installation charge but the process went smoothly.
It took about three years to FINALLY get the SPEEDS AT&T advertised. They did hang in there 'til finally diagnosing and replacing a defective drop from pole to NID (after I'd replaced filters with splitter, rewired the phones, and connected the DSL modem at the NID). I kept the voice connection for a few months while verifying VOIP reliability but then dropped it for significant savings.
I did port my number as I've had it for about 15 years AND, since I no longer have a landline, I don't appear in the phone book.
Ooma's a sweet upgrade from Vonage - especially blacklisting, second line & savings!
#106698 by nicholshornlake
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 pm
Thanks for the reply Tbates57. I believe my problem was not getting to the right department. The last guy I talked to, after telling him what I wanted, his reply was "I can do that". He said the next day I would have internet service with no phone service. Sure enough the next morning I called my # and it was disconnected. Haven't got my bill yet though, kind of wondering about that.
#106972 by johngoodin
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 pm
At what point should I tell AT&T to make changes to my account and go Dry Line DSL only?

Porting status for (334) 297-XXXX (Phenix City, Alabama)

Porting from: ATT
Name on phone bill: Elizabeth XXXXXX
Account #: 334297XXXXXXX

Order received: Received order on Feb 20, 2013
Information verified: Your porting info was verified on Feb 20, 2013
Port initiated: Number port is estimated to complete on or before Mar 18, 2013
Port scheduled for completion: Your port is scheduled to complete on Feb 26, 2013
Port completed XXX

That's only six days from order to completion. Seems a little to good to be true? FYI: The company used to be Bellsouth until they merged back with AT&T. Do you have to in fact have to split your phone line and DSL into separate accounts these days at AT&T before going DRY-Line DSL? Can't seem to locate a order page for Dry-Line DSL at all http://www.att.com/dsl/. The website says all downgrades, and removable of services HAVE to be done by phone only...
#106973 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm
If you do anything now, perhaps your port won't complete. Anytime you put a change in your account, the landline companies won't let the port out go through. So, if you want your port to finish on the date, go ahead an wait for that date. You might lose your DSL, in which case, you call in to have them turn it back on again.
#107629 by johngoodin
Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:36 pm
johngoodin wrote:At what point should I tell AT&T to make changes to my account and go Dry Line DSL only?

That's only six days from order to completion. Seems a little to good to be true? FYI: The company used to be Bellsouth until they merged back with AT&T. Do you have to in fact have to split your phone line and DSL into separate accounts these days at AT&T before going DRY-Line DSL? Can't seem to locate a order page for Dry-Line DSL at all http://www.att.com/dsl/. The website says all downgrades, and removable of services HAVE to be done by phone only...

Well I called AT&T to split my lines into two different account numbers well before the port was completed. AT&T did in fact give me a DRY-Line account to start just the next day after the port went thru. True to fashion AT&T was very consistent in their in their inconsistently. They GOOFED BIG TIME and give me a DSL telephone number already in use by someone else as their voice line. The rep I talked to at billing said and I quote "Who Ever Placed That Order Screwed It Up big-Time." They had to cancel that order and start a new one. After days and hours of being bounced from billing CS and DSL cs my service was finally turned on this afternoon. Yes a tech had to come out to do some work in the network Interface Box. He was nice enough to do the account registration and had me setup within minutes. Guess he was very helpful since they may have seen the complaint I filed with the BBB a few days before. I had NO VOIP phone service nor DSL for almost 2+ weeks.

A word to the wise. Then placing ANY order of ANY kind with AT&T have CS replete all the details back to you of your order and replete it back to them at least twice around.
#107975 by dbarronoss
Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 am
Strangely enough, I had no trouble at all. I called and they cancelled voice in an hour...DSL still running 5 days later.
#107977 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 am
dbarronoss wrote:Strangely enough, I had no trouble at all. I called and they cancelled voice in an hour...DSL still running 5 days later.

You didn't want your number heh? Anyway, not sure how tough it is to change your account to DSL only from AT&T perspective. The issue has been when someone ports their number out of AT&T and other landline carriers when bundled with DSL service, the DSL service gets cut off when number port completes.
#107980 by dbarronoss
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 am
Yeah, I couldn't port my number. Ooma doesn't have a local presence (I'm using a phone number of an area about 100 miles away). That made porting moot, unfortunately. It would have been nice to keep the same number, but there are advantages to getting a new unknown number (all those annoying telemarketer lists for instance).