Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106518 by burnside
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm
I have the original Ooma handset that I'm using for my second line. I was thinking of upgrading to the HD2, but from the reviews, it doesn't seem to much better than the original handset I have. At this point, I'd rather use one of my Panasonic handsets as my second line. Is there a way I can do this? Would buying a Linx solve this?
#106521 by murphy
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 pm
You must either have an HD2 or a Linx to use the second line.
Note that adding either will make your HD1 handset unusable.
#106523 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:59 pm
burnside wrote:I have the original Ooma handset that I'm using for my second line. I was thinking of upgrading to the HD2, but from the reviews, it doesn't seem to much better than the original handset I have. At this point, I'd rather use one of my Panasonic handsets as my second line. Is there a way I can do this? Would buying a Linx solve this?

The Linx works great for the second line feature along as you are using Ooma Premier.

But the HD2 handset also works great. Like any new product, the bugs have to worked out, and with each Ooma Telo firmware update, the problems that you may have read about, are going away or are gone.
I have been using and Ooma Telo three HD2 handsets along with a Linx device connected. They both work very well, but we have a tendency to use the HD2 handsets instead of the four Panasonic handsets that are connected through the Linx device.
#106524 by burnside
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm
murphy wrote:You must either have an HD2 or a Linx to use the second line.

OK. So all I need is a Linx to have my second line work? I'd rather not use any Ooma handsets as this point.

I do already have Première service.
#106528 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm
burnside wrote:
murphy wrote:You must either have an HD2 or a Linx to use the second line.

OK. So all I need is a Linx to have my second line work? I'd rather not use any Ooma handsets as this point.

I do already have Première service.

Connect a corded or cordless phone base to the Ooma Telo Phone port, and connect a corded or cordless phone to the Linx device Phone port. You can just plug the Linx device into any electrical outlet in your home.
#106529 by burnside
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 pm
thunderbird wrote:Connect a corded or cordless phone base to the Ooma Telo Phone port, and connect a corded or cordless phone to the Linx device Phone port. You can just plug the Linx device into any electrical outlet in your home.

So when I log into my account, do I just assign the Linx as my second line?
#106531 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 pm
burnside wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Connect a corded or cordless phone base to the Ooma Telo Phone port, and connect a corded or cordless phone to the Linx device Phone port. You can just plug the Linx device into any electrical outlet in your home.

So when I log into my account, do I just assign the Linx as my second line?

You first have to go into Ooma Setup>DECT page. Select HD2 Handset Linx, and then click on the change mode botton. Then click on the register device button above. It take a while because the latest firmware has to be downloaded to the Linx device.

If you wish, you can go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and set up a private account with one phone number in each account, or leave them both in the main account. You can also add device and name the linx device.
#106881 by tbates57
Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 pm
I decided to get the Linx (rather than an Ooma handset) in order to be able to access the "instant second line". Before Linx, my Telo was connected through the house wiring to TWO Uniden wireless bases with six phones registered to both bases. The office base (Base 2) is now connected to the Linx. The kitchen base (1) remains connected to the Telo and serves as our "primary" phone and answer machine.

Now, After Linx, every phone can access either primary OR secondary line simply by selecting the BASE to which the phone connects (with the Uniden Dect 6.0 phones, 3 presses of the MENU button gets you to the SELECT BASE menu). Which ever phone/base answers or initates a call becomes the primary line and the secondary line is then accessed from the OTHER base. Both lines use my single original (ported) phone number - NICE not to have to remember, publicize or dial a different number. Nice also NOT to have had to buy new (pricey & not highly rated) HD2s.