Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106034 by azism
Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am
As a longtime Ooma user, I am very pleased. But I now have a question regarding the Linx.

Let's see if I have this correctly understood. If I connect the Telo, which I have ordered but not yet received, up to my computer in my "computer room", and I have a Linx in a different room (kitchen in this case), I can connect my AT&T base Dect 6 phone in the kitchen and the other three AT&T Dect 6 handsets will work as they do now instead of having my main base connected in the computer room (which is out of the way)? The advantage to having the main unit in the Kitchen is for answering voice messages, etc.

Or can the Linx be attached to the computer and the Telo in the kitchen?? BTW, there is no telephone outlet in any room except for the computer room and that is a dead issue as I do not have a landline. I know this sounds confusing, but I have to ask before I decide to order a Linx unit. :?
#106036 by murphy
Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 am
The Linx is a freestanding device.
Plug it into any standard AC outlet.
The prongs are part of the Linx.
Connect any phone or cordless phone base via standard phone wire to the Linx.

The Linx communicates with the Telo via DECT 6 radio.
There is no computer involved.
#106041 by azism
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 am
murphy wrote:The Linx is a freestanding device.
Plug it into any standard AC outlet.
The prongs are part of the Linx.
Connect any phone or cordless phone base via standard phone wire to the Linx.

The Linx communicates with the Telo via DECT 6 radio.
There is no computer involved.

So, I don't need to connect the Telo to the cable modem, is that what you are saying? Or is it that I need to connect the Telo to the cable modem and then a Linx into a kitchen outlet and with a short standard phone cable from the AT&T base unit to the linx and everything should work okay? Wow, that would be great! :D
#106044 by murphy
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:23 am
The Telo must be connected to the cable modem or to your router.
Either way will work.

You can plug the Linx into an outlet in your kitchen and plug any phone that you want into the Linx.
That's all that is required.
#106064 by azism
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Thanks for the information, Murphy. Now to wait for Monday to roll around so I can see if I can order the Linx at the special upgrade price and see if the same works for the USB adapter. That USB adapter sounds like a neat idea too. ;)
#106147 by tbates57
Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm
I decided to get the Linx (rather than an Ooma handset) in order to be able to access the "instant second line". Before Linx, my Telo was connected through the house wiring to TWO Uniden wireless bases with six phones registered to both bases. The office base (corded) is now connected to the Linx. The kitchen base remains the primary line and answer machine.

Now, After Linx, every phone can access either primary OR secondary line simply by selecting the BASE to which the phone connects.

I may not have ALL the Ooma handset features available BUT I've got access to both lines on all six phones.

I COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED :D

(Check woot.com or jr.com for best shipped price for Linx)
Last edited by tbates57 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#106155 by azism
Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm
Thanks Tbates57, I'm pleased to hear of your experience. I have ordered a Linx and a Bluetooth adapter. Only one problem at the moment, they shipped it to a wrong address somehow. I let them know as soon as I become aware of it, so only time will tell when I receive the parts. Funny, they shipped the Telo correctly, but not the Linx/Bluetooth adapter. :cry: