Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#105642 by dcandmc
Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:28 am
I've had an Ooma Telo for almost three years now, and today I experienced a problem that I have not had before. I was unable to make outgoing calls, getting a fast busy signal with every attempt. I used my cell phone to determine that incoming calls still worked. The Telo is wired between my cable modem and a wireless router. I used Ooma support chat to try and figure out wht the problem was. My initial contact explained that I was getting a fast busy signal for all attempted outgoing calls. Here's the rest of the chat transcript:

Mark: Thank you for your question, one moment please while I access that information.
Mark: Hi
Mark: We do apologize for that
Mark: Have you tried rebooting the device?
You: No- please tell me how. Incoming calls are getting through.
Mark: Just unplug the power, after 2-3 minutes plug it back
Communication with the RightNow Chat service has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
Disconnection in 240 seconds.
Disconnection in 120 seconds.
Connection resumed.
Mark: Still there?
You: Hey, guess what- disconnecting power interrupts my internet connection.
Mark: Ok
You: The device is going through its reboot sequence.
Mark: Ok
You: The reboot apparently did the trick. Why would that have happened?
Mark: Your system needs to be refreshed sometime
You: "Sometime"? Like when? How often? What if it happens when I need to make a very important phone call and don't have time to wait for the system to reboot?
Mark: Like twice a week, or when you experience something like this again
You: That's a bad answer. When I need to make a phone call, I can't be wondering if the device will need to be rebooted or not before I dial. That doesn't happen with a conventional phone line.
Mark: As you know, the Ooma rely on internet connections
Mark: There are times that the internet is intermittent
Mark: And the Ooma cannot convert internet to dial tone because of that
Mark: So, you need to re-sync them in, using reboot
Mark: A conventional phone can just recognize analog signals
You: I understand that this is an internet-based system. But what you are describing appears to be a design flaw in the device. If it loses sync, the device should recognize that and reestablish sync on its own when able, instead of requiring human intervention to do a reboot when a problem is noticed.
Mark: Even if reestablish sync on its own , if there is a fluctuation about the signals, you still need to reboot
Mark: That happens also to routers and modems
Mark: Even for Main Frame computers
You: My previous point is still valid. If the device determines that it has lost sync, sees a fluctuation about the signal, or whatever, it should monitor that situation and do a reboot **on its own** when the signal is stable again, so that the device is ready to make outgoing calls again as soon as possible.
Mark: I see
Mark: Anything else at the moment?
You: No. Thank you for your assistance, and for education me about this flaw in the Ooma system.
Mark: Thank you for choosing Ooma, we appreciate your business!
Mark has disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced something like this, where the device needs to be rebooted to make outgoing calls?
#105650 by Tom
Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 am
Please disregard what the support person Mark said about the need to intermittently reboot.
His supervisor will clear up the misunderstanding.
#106106 by careh
Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm
I ran into a problem last week where the 'answering machine' was not picking up. The 'fix' was a power cycle of my Ooma box.

I have now plugged my Ooma power supply into a 24 hour timer. Power is cut by the timer at 3 AM daily and restored at 3:15AM daily.

A $5 timer is doing what a 'cron' job could do - 'Burp' the Ooma once a day. Thus keep it happy (I hope).
#106107 by caseybea
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm
Huh. I have never, EVER, had to reboot my Ooma Hub. The device Ooma wants me to get rid of and buy a new telo instead.

Not until craziness like this gets resolved....
#106110 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm
Don't know if it is the Telo or the internet equipment in this case. I have a router that chokes up once in a while where I have to reboot the router to get my Ooma up and running. It is the physical ethernet port that's the problem. Hub or Telo, if I have it connected to that port, it goes offline once in a while and will stay off until I reboot the router.
#106128 by Poindexter
Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 pm
I had the same thing happen early this morning about 230 a.m I noticed the red light flashing for the first time since I purchased Ooma a couple of weeks ago.
I figured it was updating or something, my internet hadn't skipped a beat. I called my Ooma number from my landline and got the voicemail. I picked up an Ooma handset and got a busy.

Went to bed and when I got up the red light was still flashing so I unplugged it momentarily and after the reboot it was working fine again.
My concern is why I had to reboot it.. Emergency calls I could have missed.. I'm very leery now of getting rid of my landline and I can't recommend the Ooma to friends and family because of this issue.

I expected it to work hassle free when I bought it.. but seems that was asking too much seeing how many issues people are having . The advertising makes you think it's going to be hassle free and as good as a landline but it's not there yet.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon
#106129 by thunderbird
Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 pm
This sometimes helps with this problem:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause Internet disconnects, dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Also if your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, reserving an IP address with a permanent lease in your Router, for the Ooma Telo, will sometimes help.
#109864 by deschmit
Tue May 14, 2013 2:12 pm
I have the same problem and turning off MAC spoofing doesn't make the problem go away. I too called ooma support. They gave me the same run around. They tell you it is perfectly normal to have to power cycle there device multiple times day. I don't know about you, but this sounds like a defective product. Maybe this would be a good solution. I should point a spare webcam at the ooma and write some software to detect the red light. Then I can have my computer drive a relay to temporary break the power to the ooma. Hands? Who wants one? If ooma must do a full power cycle every time your internet service hicups, why can't they code that in the firmware?

Anyway, I think I'm going to move my ooma behind my router. The support person said that will prevent my problems (the router gives the appearance internet service never hiccups). Initially I didn't want to do this. Why can't the thing work as designed? And also, all the ports on my router are all ready in use. I'll have to install a switch to give me room :-(