Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106108 by caseybea
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm
If my HUB dies, given the stability of the Telo (bad), the lack of remote features (Scout), and the costs (Many), I would probably jump ship and go to another VOIP provider. I only let a company bite me once.
#106109 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 pm
caseybea, you said a couple of times "bite me once" "lie to me once." Just curious, what are you upset about? Ooma is delivering and will continue to deliver everything coming to you right?
#106124 by caseybea
Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 am
By that I mean, Ooma offered a product (HUB) and advertised ZERO costs, and a whole ton of features including caller-id-with-text, which were the main reasons I purchased it.

Not too long after I got my Hub, ooma quickly changed gears and offered a "new" product (telo), that offers LESS flexibility and features, and more cost. Glaring example: If I want to keep the caller-id-with-text feature? NO LONGER INCLUDED. I have to pay extra for that now.

While it's not exactly "bait and switch", it does lean that way just a little.

If the telo were a better product, with the same stability AND feature set (WITHOUT my having to go sign up for the premiere service), I wouldn't have as many issues with Ooma pushing people toward that product.
#106126 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm
caseybea wrote:By that I mean, Ooma offered a product (HUB) and advertised ZERO costs, and a whole ton of features including caller-id-with-text, which were the main reasons I purchased it.

Core users still get what they are promised.

caseybea wrote:Not too long after I got my Hub, ooma quickly changed gears and offered a "new" product (telo), that offers LESS flexibility and features, and more cost. Glaring example: If I want to keep the caller-id-with-text feature? NO LONGER INCLUDED. I have to pay extra for that now.

Your saying "I have to pay extra for that now" is not true; you are not paying anything right now. Rather, you are talking about the future when your Hub fails and get a Telo or if you just decide to upgrade to Telo. I don't see why this can be upsetting. When you signed up, you knew what you were going to get - for the life of your device, free service, great features, No RRF. You are still getting what you are promised so getting upset with not being able to get the same deal with a newer device is unreasonable.

caseybea wrote:it's not exactly "bait and switch", it does lean that way just a little.

Nothing even remotely close to bait and switch. Promise was made and is being delivered so can't be any complaints.

caseybea wrote:If the telo were a better product, with the same stability AND feature set (WITHOUT my having to go sign up for the premiere service), I wouldn't have as many issues with Ooma pushing people toward that product.

Like I said earlier, I thought the email & content was a bit strange and not expected but the decision to upgrade is purely on the user. If don't want to, then stay with the Hub.
#106127 by caseybea
Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm
"I don't see why this can be upsetting"

You're missing my point. I *am* happy with my hub. What I am not happy about is ooma clearly trying to push customers to an inferior product. Ask any HUB owner and I'm certain they'd agree. Thanks for listening.
#106214 by stevepow
Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm
I thought this was a good deal and a good time to do it since my Scout was starting to glitch out on me - something wrong with the power supply connection (had to hold my mouth just right to make it work :? ).

FWIW, I have been very happy with Ooma service since I first got it. We had initially some call quality issues calling Panama, but as soon as I reported it to Ooma, in a few weeks - no more issues and that has saved us hundreds of $$ on long distance charges compared to ATT.

At any rate, I pulled the trigger for a Telo + Lynx.

What changed? :

1) I'll now pay ~$3/month for tax and fees - big deal - no where near what ATT was charging me in the past for a line with way less features and much higher internat'l rates :o .

2) Call Quality - like night and day - what an improvement - sounds at least as good as my land line - shockingly good really. I hope the few calls I have made are not a fluke, but *wow* - impressive - seems to not be marketing hype.

Anyone moaning and groaning about this deal - I don't get it - it is pretty decent. Even with the cost of the gear I have bought, including the cost of the new Telo and Lynx which I have barely used, I have saved thousands over my ATT land line over 4 years time. Ooma is still a great deal and with the improved quality, an even better deal - plus I get to "stick it" to ATT which is priceless satisfaction. :D

People who let the 1/31 deadline get past you, next time an offer like that comes around, you should seriously consider it.
Last edited by stevepow on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#106225 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 pm
stevepow wrote:1) I'll now pay ~$3/month for tax and fees - big deal - no where near what ATT was charging me in the past for a line with way less features and much higher internat'l rates :o .

2) Call Quality - like night and day - what an improvement - sounds at least as good as my land line - shockingly good really. I hope the few calls I have made are not a fluke, but *wow* - impressive - seems to not be not marketing hype.

Yep, perspective is key.
BTW, you might want to check that monthly tax, for most people it is ~$4+/month; might break your bank account. :P
#106494 by kenra
Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm
I have been a satisfied ooma core user since May 2009. I have lifetime premier so I am paying $00.00 to ooma.until my hardware goes belly up. Sorry ooma, the math just doesn't work for me to “upgrade”. I am 3 weeks into another startup, Republic Wireless. With an upfront phone and fees cost of $283.00 and a no contract cost of $19.00/mo plus tax and fees for unlimited talk, text, and data, I think it is worth the gamble. When and if my hub fails, I will decide if I even need a house phone any more.
#107934 by roadshow
Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm
kenra wrote:I have been a satisfied ooma core user since May 2009. I have lifetime premier so I am paying $00.00 to ooma.until my hardware goes belly up. Sorry ooma, the math just doesn't work for me to “upgrade”. I am 3 weeks into another startup, Republic Wireless. With an upfront phone and fees cost of $283.00 and a no contract cost of $19.00/mo plus tax and fees for unlimited talk, text, and data, I think it is worth the gamble. When and if my hub fails, I will decide if I even need a house phone any more.


I totally agree! I bought my Core only about 2 years ago. Now that deal is only good for my existing hardware. I have free Caller ID with Name and no taxes. I also use my Scout as a remote answering machine. I don't agree that a Telo is an upgrade. I would have to pay monthly taxes, purchase Premier to get my CID with text, and buy a handset to get the voicemail (and no, I don't want to retrieve it from my cordless phone by typing a keypad sequence) I like the one button flashing red interface on the Scout.

There is NO WAY that a Core customer in my position would benefit from a so called upgrade, and I could care less for the whole HD audio thing, my Hub sounds fine. I started out as a big fan of this service, and I still love what I have. I don't like the prospect of what I will get when my Hub bites the dust. I hope my Hub lives a long life. I know there are a lot of people that disagree, but I think I speak for a great population of Core users.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests