Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#105326 by BamaYankee
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 am
Hey,

I recently got Ooma and three HD2 handsets. I have to make long conference calls, can be as long as 3-4 hours. I have found that ALL my handsets will die after some length of time on the phone. None have lasted more that 90mins. The screen goes completely black. If I put the unit on the base it will come back and work fine, for short calls at least.

I did call support and got one unit replaced. (At the time I hadn't tried all 3 handsets) The replaced unit does this as well.

I also got extended life AA rechargeables. These seem to make no difference. Has anyone else seen this? I did a search but did not see anything on the forum. Any ideas? This makes the handsets not really worth it to me.
#105336 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am
Our experience:
My wife has been making very long calls to China which sometimes lasts for several hours.

The HD2 batteries are still going strong when she finishes.
#109768 by nhbos
Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 am
Yes, I have been having this experience ever since receiving the phone/base a couple months ago. I requested new batteries, but after finally receiving them, the problem still exists. Dropped calls always, phone "searching for base unit" several times per day (goes black, I pick it up and put it back and it "searches, then goes black right away again. I unplug the base several times a day which does work, but still only for short calls and only for a few hours each time when not using the phone.
Did you ever get an answer on how to fix, work around, deal with this? :cry:
#109772 by thunderbird
Sat May 11, 2013 2:23 pm
I have one HD2 charging cradle that when used allows the HD2 batteries to go flat.

If I switch HD2 handsets in the defective Charging cradle, the problem stays with the cradle.

The same HD2 handset batteries will keep a high state of charge in the other HD2 handset charging cradles.

I do hear the double beep when placing the HD2 handset in the defective charging cradle.

Also another thread that points out more HD2 handset problems;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15623&p=108833&hilit=hd2+batteries#p108833
#109779 by murphy
Sat May 11, 2013 5:29 pm
thunderbird wrote:I have one HD2 charging cradle that when used allows the HD2 batteries to go flat.

If I switch HD2 handsets in the defective Charging cradle, the problem stays with the cradle.

The same HD2 handset batteries will keep a high state of charge in the other HD2 handset charging cradles.

I do hear the double beep when placing the HD2 handset in the defective charging cradle.

Get a rubber band that has a flat (ie not round) profile.
Cut two 1/4" long pieces.
Thread a rubber band section underneath each of the wire loops in the charging cradle.
Test.
#109780 by thunderbird
Sat May 11, 2013 11:40 pm
murphy wrote:
thunderbird wrote:I have one HD2 charging cradle that when used allows the HD2 batteries to go flat.

Get a rubber band that has a flat (ie not round) profile.
Cut two 1/4" long pieces.
Thread a rubber band section underneath each of the wire loops in the charging cradle.
Test.

I do get the double beep sound when placing the HD2 handset into the defective HD2 handset charging cradle.

That means that electrical contact is established between the HD2 handset and the HD2 handset charging cradle.
#109781 by murphy
Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 am
It means that it is initially established.
It does not mean that it stays connected.
There are no electrical components inside of a cradle.
The only thing that can be wrong with one is bad connections.

Set your handset so the screen is illuminated all of the time when it is in the cradle and times out when it is not in the cradle. If the screen turns off while in the cradle it has lost the connection.

The rubber band increases the force of the contact wire against the bottom of the handset.