Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#105109 by hawaii2000
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am
Received order Nov. 29.

Number port is estimated to complete on or before Jan. 22.

Meanwhile, old carrier Oceanic Time Warner Cable says porting out on their end is complete. My phone service has been deactivated as a consequence of the porting out.

Callers now get a "not in service" message and have been for almost a week.

Ooma says they're still waiting.

OTWC says Ooma has nothing to wait for as OTWC are not going to contact Ooma. Their end is complete. It's up to Ooma to port in now. Or at least that's what OTWC says.

Everyday I get online with chat support at OTWC and Ooma. Nobody has been able to help.

Meanwhile, my ported number is in limbo and I fear I will lose it because someone dropped the ball here. Problem is, I don't know who the ball dropper might be.

This sucks.
#105115 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm
I would call Ooma customer service and get to the porting department.

1-888-711-6662
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST.
Saturday & Sunday 8am-5pm PST.

Ask Ooma for the status of your port. If in limbo, meaning Ooma tells you your old provider didn't tell them to take number yet your old provider is telling you they told Ooma to take the number...have Ooma contact the old provider to figure out what's going on. Then ask Ooma to keep you informed via phone or email to let you know what you need to do, if anything, to move the port forward until your port completes.
#105117 by hawaii2000
Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm
lbmofo wrote:I would call Ooma customer service and get to the porting department.

Ask Ooma for the status of your port. If in limbo, meaning Ooma tells you your old provider didn't tell them to take number yet your old provider is telling you they told Ooma to take the number...have Ooma contact the old provider to figure out what's going on. Then ask Ooma to keep you informed via phone or email to let you know what you need to do, if anything, to move the port forward until your port completes.


Thanks, I have done that. It sounds like there's yet another party involved. Ooma keeps referring to *their* carrier as in, "we're waiting to hear from our carrier." I don't know what that means. Isn't Ooma the (new) carrier/provider? I do know the old provider, TWC, says there is nothing more for them to do on this. And as a result of their porting out process being complete, the number is no longer in service.

It's all at once frustrating, infuriating, and sad. It's ironic too because I went with Ooma knowing that I could keep our old number and was looking forward to everything Ooma offers that TWC did not. Even though it took over a month (and the status page said it could take up to two) I was ok and patient. The old number was being forwarded to our Ooma number so no calls were being lost. But as of a week ago, they're now being lost on a daily basis.

Even worse than callers getting a not-in-service recording, however, is the thought of potentially losing our number permanently.
#105124 by murphy
Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:41 pm
Ooma is only the carrier on an Ooma to Ooma call. Calls that have to transition to the traditional telephone network have to go through a traditional carrier. Ooma has contracts with traditional carriers all over the country. The carrier they are talking about is the one that will switch your calls to and from the traditional phone network.

Go here:

http://tnid.org/

and enter your phone number and it will tell you who is responsible for your phone number on the traditional phone network.
#105127 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm
hawaii2000 wrote:Even worse than callers getting a not-in-service recording, however, is the thought of potentially losing our number permanently.

Like murphy says, different Ooma carriers provide Ooma with services in carrying calls.

You can plug in your Ooma assigned number after getting to the link http://tnid.us that murphy referenced to get an idea of who your carrier would be for your ported in number (may or may not be the same carrier that will service your number being ported).

As for worrying about losing your number, no worries. If your number is in limbo, no one else can have it. Until some period of time when the "port" is considered cancelled (after no action is taken from Ooma carrier after the number is released from your old provider). In this case, number would go back to your old service provider as inactive; even if your old provider messed up (didn't release the number and just cancelled your service), they have aging in place so no one else will get your number assigned as their number for a while (aging is applicable to the previous "inactive" case as well).

With that said, have Ooma porting guys keep on top of it.
#105128 by hawaii2000
Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm
Hollywood wrote:after your number is ported, you will need to reboot your Ooma (unplug power then restart). it wouldn't hurt to try that just to be sure you didn't miss a message saying to do that.


Thank you--I had actually already tried that out of desperation but to no avail.
#105129 by hawaii2000
Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm
lbmofo wrote:You can plug in your Ooma assigned number after getting to the link http://tnid.us that murphy referenced to get an idea of who your carrier would be for your ported in number (may or may not be the same carrier that will service your number being ported).


Mahalo to you and murphy for that information. I did check and found that Hawaiian Tel is that carrier.

lbmofo wrote:As for worrying about losing your number, no worries. If your number is in limbo, no one else can have it. Until some period of time when the "port" is considered cancelled (after no action is taken from Ooma carrier after the number is released from your old provider). In this case, number would go back to your old service provider as inactive; even if your old provider messed up (didn't release the number and just cancelled your service), they have aging in place so no one else will get your number assigned as their number for a while (aging is applicable to the previous "inactive" case as well).


This is a relief to hear.

lbmofo wrote:With that said, have Ooma porting guys keep on top of it.


Will do. Thanks. And I'll post updates as they occur.
#105130 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm
hawaii2000 wrote:Mahalo to you and murphy for that information. I did check and found that Hawaiian Tel is that carrier.

I guess there is a bug on the tnid.us website. It is supposed to tell you who the current carrier is on top of the original carrier but the site is not telling you as of now. Try again later.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests