Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9007 by btrent
Sun May 03, 2009 5:18 pm
I just bought my ooma today and love it - calls sound great so far.

But I have noticed an issue. I installed the ooma between the modem and the router as instructed - this resulted in a 65% decrease in downstream speed for me even when there was no call in progress. I then switched the ooma to the router and my bandwidth returned to its pre-ooma level.

Is this normal?
#9012 by WayneDsr
Sun May 03, 2009 6:16 pm
You really need to experiment with QOS when you have ooma in front of the router.
However, I believe the best way is to put ooma behind the router (as if it were a pc), as you did. Using to router to control QOS (if you need to).

Wayne
#9027 by tailwheel
Sun May 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Interesting, I have the same setup - modem, ooma, router, and ooma doesn't seem to affect bandwidth at all (when I'm not on the phone). I have QoS enabled only for upstream (upload) because my download bandwidth is much more than needed.
I also have my router DMZed by ooma. Really haven't tried it any other way. But it works great for me.
#9036 by gpadick
Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 am
tailwheel wrote:Interesting, I have the same setup - modem, ooma, router, and ooma doesn't seem to affect bandwidth at all (when I'm not on the phone). I have QoS enabled only for upstream (upload) because my download bandwidth is much more than needed.
I also have my router DMZed by ooma. Really haven't tried it any other way. But it works great for me.

Hi Tailwheel.

How do you enable QoS for upstream and download?

I don't notice any problems with speed but am curious just in case.
#9037 by WayneDsr
Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 am
If you want to adjust QOS in the ooma hub and you have it connected -->modem-->ooma-->router type in setup.ooma.com. This should bring you to the ooma setup page. No need to enable download QOS, but you can experiment with upload.
Some say setting it to 0 works and others set it to 80% of total upload speed. As they say, your mileage may very.

Wayne
#9043 by number9
Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 am
Speed test websites typically call your upstream bandwidth speed the "upload speed". To ensure you are obtaining accurate results, be sure to run the speed tests only when you have no active data transfers. Also, it is best to run the speed test several times to ensure you are obtaining consistent results.

After you determine the upstream speed, open the ooma setup page by browsing to http://setup.ooma.com from a computer connected behind the "HOME" port of the ooma Hub.

[Click to Enlarge]

On the setup page, select "Advanced" on the navigation menu and look for the "Quality of Service" section on the page. In the "Upstream Internet Speed" textbox, type in the numeric upstream speed result from the Internet speed test. Note: The units of the upstream speed on the setup page are in kilobits per second (kbps), so if you obtained an upstream value in megabits per second (Mbps) you would convert the value to kbps before typing it into the input field.

After typing in the value be sure to click the Update button to save the changes.