Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104362 by sobosdonna
Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 am
Does anyone know whether you are required to use OOMA's wireless adpater or whether other brands will function with the telo? I apologize if this has been asked but I couldn't find reference to this questions. :?:
#104363 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 am
Ooma's wireless adapter software that drives the Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle is contained in the Ooma Telo Firmware. There is no way to load another wireless adapter's software in the Ooma Telo. So yes the Ooma Telo wireless adapter must be used.
sobosdonna wrote:Does anyone know whether you are required to use OOMA's wireless adpater or whether other brands will function with the telo? I apologize if this has been asked but I couldn't find reference to this questions. :?:
#104366 by murphy
Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 am
You could buy A TiVo wireless n (NOT G) adapter. It connects via the internet port, not USB. Connect it to a computer and configure it or if your router supports WPS it can be automatically configured without using a computer. It isn't inexpensive and is basically a wireless bridge. I no longer have one, my TiVos are hard wired, so I can't test it on the Telo. Hard wired is always the best approach. Any wireless bridge should work for the connection.
#104376 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 am
sobosdonna wrote:So now I am completly confused. Two responses - two entirely different answers!

thunderbird was saying that you have to use an Ooma USB dongle if you want to go the USB route. No other choice.
murphy was saying you don't have to use USB port to get internet. You can get a wifi bridge and covert wifi to ethernet so you can plug your Ooma 'Internet' port to the wifi bridge. This post, you would see what kind of bridge I use (and recommend) as well as the powerline adapter I use (also recommend). /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898