Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104277 by Talkative
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm
Hi,

Switched routers today and Ooma would not connect. Called tech support and was told to turn off, and keep off, router's firewall.

This worked; but I don't like the idea of not having the firewall on. Is this fully required?

I want to forward some ports to the Ooma but don't know it's IP. For some reason it doesn't show in the router's DHCP client list.

I know there's a way to punch a code in the handset to get the IP but don't remember the code. Any help please?

Thanks
#104283 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:10 am
Talkative wrote:Hi,

Switched routers today and Ooma would not connect. Called tech support and was told to turn off, and keep off, router's firewall.

This worked; but I don't like the idea of not having the firewall on. Is this fully required?

I want to forward some ports to the Ooma but don't know it's IP. For some reason it doesn't show in the router's DHCP client list.

I know there's a way to punch a code in the handset to get the IP but don't remember the code. Any help please?

Thanks

Access Ooma Setup using a network cable connected from a computer wired LAN port, to the Ooma Telo Home port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on the Status tab, the then the Ports tab. The MAC address and IP address is listed under the TO INTERNET port column.

List of ports that Ooma uses is located here: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports

Also if your Router has a DMZ, you could put the Ooma Telo's MAC address/IP address in the Router DMZ, instead of port forwarding.
#104312 by Talkative
Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:24 pm
Thank you both for your replies!

The thing is that for some reason Ooma isn't showing up in the router's DHCP client list so I can't find its IP.

I need the IP to adjust the router's firewall.

I know there's a code you can punch into the handset to get the IP. But what is it?

I don't want to, or need to, connect the Ooma directly to my pc in order to get to it's configuration settings. At least not at this point.

Thanks
#104320 by lbmofo
Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 am
Talkative wrote:for some reason Ooma isn't showing up in the router's DHCP client list so I can't find its IP.

You can check Ooma's IP doing what dknyinva said. However, don't you see Ooma's MAC on the "connected device" list of your router? The MAC address of Ooma showing up in router would be 1 higher than the MAC printed on the bottom of the Ooma device.
#104321 by Talkative
Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am
dknyinva wrote:Menu / About handset (exclamation symbol) and scroll toward bottom.

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect you're talking about Ooma's branded handset. I'm using a Uniden wireless.

There's a code that works with ANY standard handset.

That's what I need.

Thanks
#104322 by lbmofo
Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 am
Talkative wrote:
dknyinva wrote:Menu / About handset (exclamation symbol) and scroll toward bottom.

I'm using a Uniden wireless. There's a code that works with ANY standard handset. That's what I need.

I am not aware of any codes that tells you the IP address of Ooma. There is a code that would tell you the firmware version (/viewtopic.php?t=14903).
#104323 by Talkative
Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 am
lbmofo wrote:However, don't you see Ooma's MAC on the "connected device" list of your router? The MAC address of Ooma showing up in router would be 1 higher than the MAC printed on the bottom of the Ooma device.

Yes, I'm looking for a MAC that's one higher but it's simply not showing up.

Could be something wrong with the router. It's a puzzle.

Ooma's MAC is 00 18 61...... There is nothing remotely close in the router's DHCP client list.

I guess it is remotely possible, but extremely unlikely, that Ooma is using a fixed IP and hence not asking for an IP via DHCP. But that doesn't really make sense.

I'm also using a program (MyLanViewer) which lists all connected devices with their IP, MAC and more. The Ooma simply isn't showing up!

But Ooma IS getting on the LAN or it would not work at all.

Thanks