Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104174 by clasicdude
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 pm
Our Ooma has been great at making and receiving phone calls however, it seems to be possessed. As I type this it is randomly making beeping noises, saying things, and lighting up. Even on days when we do not make or receive calls, at random times it will change the volume, change the light level, and change colors on the Ooma symbol. We have tried to hard reset it already, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Anyone have this problem? I think it may be defective...or may have a poltergeist. Please help!

Thanks!
#104177 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 am
Make sure that Ooma Telo is placed at least three to four feet away from all other Eectrical and Electronic devices. This includes your cordless phones and cordless phone base.
#104205 by clasicdude
Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 am
Thanks for the tip, but don't most Ooma users have their home phone (which is most likely a cordless set) right next to their Ooma? This is the case for us, and I don't really have any other locations for it. :( I would assume the Ooma is designed to take some interference and shouldn't be changing settings due to being around some other electronic equipment.
#104232 by Tom
Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm
at random times it will change the volume, change the light level, and change colors on the Ooma symbol

We changed a parameter on your unit. Is the poltergeist gone? If not please contact support.
#107538 by sdarisi
Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am
Sorry to bring up a old topic.

I had this happen to me yesterday. I have the Ooma in my study ever since I purchased it about a year ago. The device suddenly started to make beeping sounds (like touch tone beeps) and the Ooma logo on the device started to flash Blue with each beep. I think I saw it go through about 20 or so beeps.

No one was using the device or the phone system and nothing around it had changed. So I was worried if someone hacked into the device and was using it to make free calls or worse....messing around on my home network (a key reason why I have the setup as Cable Modem --> Router --> Ooma). Contacting support (online and phone call) did not help much. Online support was thinking my device is likely bad and needs to be replaced which I advised was not the case as I can make and receive calls. A phone call to support informed me that this was likely due to Bluetooth devices around it which I thought made sense to a degree although I was very skeptical. So, I removed the blue tooth adapter......Guess what, a few minutes later, the process started all over again. And then my saved voicemail messages started to play back. All without anyone using the phone system or touching the device.

Now I am really freaked out thinking someone has hacked into the system. Another phone call to support folks did not get me any more enlightened.....

Support: Sir, we made some changes to your device, you need to hang up and reboot the device. All will be well then'
Me: Good, can you tell me what happened here and what was changed?
Support: These tools are only available to us to make the changes, You should reboot
Me: I am not asking you to share the tool. I am asking you to advise details on what the issue was and what has been changed to rectify it
Support: Again, these tools are only available to us to make the changes, You should reboot

After going around in circles a few more times, I was disappointed and frustrated that I being treated as a child and that Ooma would not tell me anything on this.

Anyone here know what this is about? Anyway to look at the system/device logs (not call logs) to see what might have happened here?

Ooma, if you are listening, please do not treat your customer like an illiterate child....some of us are technically capable and would appreciate any information you can share.
#107539 by Tom
Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am
Our apologies for support not providing you the requested information. Likely they didn't know what to answer as the issue is somewhat rare and technical. The frontpanels on some telo need a slightly different calibration to operate properly, so that change was applied but no reboot was issued because there was an active call. Is the frontpanel operating ok now?
#119424 by met52h
Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:08 am
I have had Ooma since Feb. and until about a week ago have been very satisfied with it until about a week ago. Every morning at 6:03 am my OOma base beeps for several minutes. Live chatted with support yesterday and don't feel the were very helpful . If I can't figure it out soon will cancel my service. Anyone have any suggestions?
#119441 by southsound
Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm
At least it's not a radio station playing Sonny and Cher's "I got you, babe!" Seems to me that situation took a lot of repetitions to be put in order. :P

For those scratching their head...