Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103982 by domm
Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:27 pm
Can anyone help me re-wire my land-line? I just moved into a house & the previous owner used a VOIP phone service & I cannot get a dial tone on any phone jacks unless I plug a phone into the phone jack in the outside box & then I get a dial tone on all phone jacks inside the house. I have followed the yellow phone line from the outside box into the inside box & it looks like some of the colored wires that are inside of the yellow wire are connected to some sort of a clip that has many colored wires leading to it but a few of the colored wires from the yellow phone wire have been spliced to a wire that has a phone jack attache to the end & was then plugged into an Arris modem I think. Any ideas on why I cannot get a dial tone inside the house until I plug a phone jack into the outside phone box & any ideas on how to reconnect the wiring so I can get a dial tone without having to have my phone jack wire running through my bedroom window into the outside box? TIA
#103985 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 pm
So if you plug a modular plug outside, you would get dialtone inside? Is there any kind of swinging door over that modular jack you are not closing? Worst case, you plug in a real short phone cord outside and you'd get dialtone inside right?
#104005 by domm
Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 am
lbmofo wrote:So if you plug a modular plug outside, you would get dialtone inside? Is there any kind of swinging door over that modular jack you are not closing? Worst case, you plug in a real short phone cord outside and you'd get dialtone inside right?

To be honest, it is actually my friends house so I am just working on memory here but once I opened the Bell South outside box I believe I did have to snap open some sort of clear plastic cover to get access to the modular jack that I plugged the phone cord into. I could be wrong in my recollections but I do not think the clear plastic cover will close if a phone cord is plugged into the jack receptacle.

As for the dial tone, yes I get a dial tone throughout the house if I plug a phone cord into the outside receptacle, but if the other end of the phone cord is not plugged into a phone I lose dial tone all throughout the house so i can not just have a short phone cord plugged into the outside receptacle. As of now I have the phone cord running from the outside Bell South box through a bedroom window & plugged into a phone sitting on a night stand.

I am trying to save my friend the $85 plus charge that ATT said they will charge him to come out & fix the problem. They said they will be there on Tuesday to fix the issue so I have until then to save him some dough.

Thanks