Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104386 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 am
thunderbird wrote:I see that two or three other people are reporting the same type Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle problems. When the Ooma Telo is connected with a network cable to the Ooma Telo Internet port, there isn't any problems.

I switched my Wi-Fi dongle from an Ooma device that I don't use very much, to my main Ooma device that we use every day. I will try to duplicate the problems that others have reported.

Ooma Wi-Fi connection reconnect has regressed:
I have done some testing and it appears that if there is a momentary loss of Internet signal, then the Internet signal is restored, the Ooma Telo Ooma symbol will flash red, then reconnect. But if the Internet signal outage is longer than just a few minutes, the Ooma Telo Ooma symbol will continue to flash red and never reconnect on it's own when the Internet signal is restored. An Ooma Telo reboot is required to fully restore the Ooma Telo to the blue status.

Right after the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle come out, if there was a loss of Internet signal, the Ooma Telo would not reconnect on it's own, when the Internet siganal was restored. But later this problem was fixed. But it has seemed to have come back.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#104389 by SteveCDMA
Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 am
I think Thunderbird is on the right track! Though my Internet connection did not drop at all when the red light issue happens (at least when I know about it). We watch a lot of TV through online sources and a few times the drop has happened while we were watching TV.

So it must be a firmware issue. I wonder if it had something to do with Ooma adding the option in the web interface to control DECT? I do not know when they added that option since (my previous login was back in June) the most recent login was only a few days ago and I noticed the DECT option which was not there months before... So far it's been one full day hard wired and I have not noticed any issues with connectivity. I have the Telo just under my TV so I can keep close tabs on it. I hope Ooma gets the firmware bug fixed for sporadic disconnects.

:idea: There really should be a way for users to control whether or not they want a firmware upgrade instead of it automatically happening. Or at least a way to revert back to a previous version. You know the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...
#104416 by outsidegangskilled
Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:47 pm
The internet is going out like mini power failures. Especially if you have slower or basic internet.
Still faster than dial up but if to many other things are connected to your router like a laptop, desktop, with a tablet, maybe your smartphone, plus the ooma will slow your connections right down, and even go out briefly and when that happens you see the red light blinking until it regains connection. How do you prevent it? Pay a little more to internet provider for faster speed.
Or limit access to things not needed to be online constantly all at once.
#104680 by SteveCDMA
Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am
thunderbird wrote:
thunderbird wrote:I see that two or three other people are reporting the same type Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle problems. When the Ooma Telo is connected with a network cable to the Ooma Telo Internet port, there isn't any problems.

I switched my Wi-Fi dongle from an Ooma device that I don't use very much, to my main Ooma device that we use every day. I will try to duplicate the problems that others have reported.

Ooma Wi-Fi connection reconnect has regressed:
I have done some testing and it appears that if there is a momentary loss of Internet signal, then the Internet signal is restored, the Ooma Telo Ooma symbol will flash red, then reconnect. But if the Internet signal outage is longer than just a few minutes, the Ooma Telo Ooma symbol will continue to flash red and never reconnect on it's own when the Internet signal is restored. An Ooma Telo reboot is required to fully restore the Ooma Telo to the blue status.

Right after the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle come out, if there was a loss of Internet signal, the Ooma Telo would not reconnect on it's own, when the Internet siganal was restored. But later this problem was fixed. But it has seemed to have come back.

Update:
It has been just over a week that my Telo has been hard wired (no USB dongle) and the problem is gone.
#104774 by MTOKS
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 am
I have been having this issue as well. I never used the USB dongle, I have always had the Telo wired directly to my cable box. It used to be that rebooting the Telo by unplugging from power then plugging back in would resolve the issue, but this is no longer the case! Now it just continues to show the blinking red light and no phone calls can be made. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail. I have nothing plugged into the USB port and my phone is DECT, so I don't think there could be any wireless interference issues. The only other device sharing the internet is my computer, so it can't be that there is too much traffic. What is going on??
#104775 by murphy
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 am
MTOKS wrote:I have been having this issue as well. I never used the USB dongle, I have always had the Telo wired directly to my cable box. It used to be that rebooting the Telo by unplugging from power then plugging back in would resolve the issue, but this is no longer the case! Now it just continues to show the blinking red light and no phone calls can be made. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail. I have nothing plugged into the USB port and my phone is DECT, so I don't think there could be any wireless interference issues. The only other device sharing the internet is my computer, so it can't be that there is too much traffic. What is going on??

I am unsure what your configuration is but if you have changed what is connected to your cable modem it is an absolute requirement that the cable modem be power cycled (remove its power, wait 15 seconds, repower).
#104776 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 am
MTOKS wrote:I have been having this issue as well. I never used the USB dongle, I have always had the Telo wired directly to my cable box. It used to be that rebooting the Telo by unplugging from power then plugging back in would resolve the issue, but this is no longer the case! Now it just continues to show the blinking red light and no phone calls can be made. Incoming calls go directly to voicemail. I have nothing plugged into the USB port and my phone is DECT, so I don't think there could be any wireless interference issues. The only other device sharing the internet is my computer, so it can't be that there is too much traffic. What is going on??

The Red Flashing Ooma Symbol means that the Ooma Telo is not "seeing" the Internet signal.

If rebooting the Modem, then after the Modem is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo, doesn't help, try temporarily connecting your Computer directly to the Modem, leaving the Ooma Telo tempoarily disconnected.

Reboot the Modem and after the Modem is done booting, reboot the computer. Then see if you can "surf" the Internet with your computer, going to a site like Goggle.

That will tell you if you are recieving the Internet signal in your home.