Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103737 by Rich G.
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:04 am
I posted this on the Ooma FB page:

Question for all of my Ooma folks: Is anyone else experiencing this...I've moved my Ooma to the kitchen and it's connected via the wireless adapter and also have the bluetooth adapter for our cell phone calls to come through on our Ooma when we're home. I had to use a usb hub since the Ooma unit only has one usb plug in the back of it. I've noticed that several times a day the Ooma is blinking red which means that it's not working and phone calls are not going come through. Sometimes I'll plug and unplug the unit..it'll reboot and in a few minutes everything is fine again...and other times I'll leave it alone and a few minutes later it's back to normal and has stopped the red blinking. I'm wondering if there's a reason why this is happening? Are other Ooma users noticing the same kind of thing happening...and is there a fix for this? If I'm noticing it a few times a day...I'm wondering how many times is this actually happening that I'm not even noticing it. Whew...that was a tad long-winded. Looking forward to replies from users as well as from Ooma on this question. Thank you. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend...
#103738 by murphy
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 am
Does that USB hub have its own power supply? I doubt the Telo USB port can power a hub plus two devices.
Also the wireless adapter and the bluetooth adapter are on the same frequencies (2.4 GHz). The transmitter of one may be overloading the receiver of the other with them in close proximity. Get a USB extension cord so they can be separated.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+6% ... Id=1358586
#104360 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 pm
I see that two or three other people are reporting the same type Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle problems. When the Ooma Telo is connected with a network cable to the Ooma Telo Internet port, there isn't any problems.

I switched my Wi-Fi dongle from an Ooma device that I don't use very much, to my main Ooma device that we use every day. I will try to duplicate the problems that others have reported.
#104365 by SteveCDMA
Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 am
I have been having the same issue lately as well. The wireless router and the Telo are only about 15 feet apart so the signal strength is between 95 and 100 percent. The unit has been hooked up to the USB WI-FI dongle for almost a year and just a few weeks ago I noticed the random flashing red. I figured it was just Ooma flashing the firmware or something. But then I noticed it happening more and more. In fact about a week ago the Telo would not stop flashing red for over 10 minutes and I also noticed that the blue LED on the USB dongle was not on. At that point I cut the power and let it reboot. When it came back up there were no issues. When that happened with the USB LED light staying off it really leads me to believe that the issue is directly related to the dongle by hardware or firmware. This morning before I left for work I saw it flashing red again though it changed back to blue before I left. Curious of other having the issue I did a Google search and found this discussion. It seems I am not the only one having the same issue.

:idea: Could it be one of the following (USB dongle going bad, Telo going bad, or a bad firmware update from Ooma causing an issue with the USB dongle)?

I have not tried removing the USB dongle and hard wiring the Telo directly to the router. That will be happening tonight. If there are no issues that way then it clearly is a USB dongle issue of some sort. It's just going to mess up my whole setup since I have a cordless phone base with phone/speakerphone built in sitting on my desk with the Telo and I'll have to move it all under my TV stand making the wired phone useless. That was the whole point of getting the USB adapter in the first place.

Maybe Thunderbird will experience the same problem and have an answer in the mean time...
#104367 by murphy
Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 am
The cordless phone base, if it is 2.4 GHz, is too close to the Telo. The transmitter in the phone base can overload the receiver in the wireless adapter which will make it appear to be insensitive. Move them at least three feet apart, the further the better.
#104381 by Texkimo
Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:41 am
I just bought and installed an Ooma Telo last week. Mine is hard wired to the router and has one phone plugged into it. It is also intermittently flashing red 3-4 times a day, so I suspect it's more related to the Telo unit than any wireless devices (although they may also have an effect).

Looking forward to hearing how this get's resolved. A phone line that only works part time isn't much use.
#104382 by mike_b
Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:54 am
Texkimo wrote:I just bought and installed an Ooma Telo last week. Mine is hard wired to the router and has one phone plugged into it. It is also intermittently flashing red 3-4 times a day, so I suspect it's more related to the Telo unit than any wireless devices (although they may also have an effect).

Looking forward to hearing how this get's resolved. A phone line that only works part time isn't much use.

Have you spoken with Ooma technical support?