Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Post Reply
HarryB
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by HarryB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a question about a fix in firmware upgrade 63430 -- "Fix issue where checking 'Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port' does not survive a reboot [14359]". The option does indeed survive a reboot now and I'm happy about that, but unfortunately, it does not survive a power off/power on. Shouldn't it do this, too?

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by thunderbird » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

HarryB wrote:I have a question about a fix in firmware upgrade 63430 -- "Fix issue where checking 'Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port' does not survive a reboot [14359]". The option does indeed survive a reboot now and I'm happy about that, but unfortunately, it does not survive a power off/power on. Shouldn't it do this, too?
Isn't an Ooma Telo reboot the same as a power off/power on for the Ooma Telo?? When I do a reboot of the Ooma Telo, the only way I know how to do this is to remove power and repower the Ooma Telo???

HarryB
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by HarryB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

thunderbird wrote:Isn't an Ooma Telo reboot the same as a power off/power on??
Perhaps I should have said disconnected/reconnected instead of reboot -- the sort of thing that happens when the cable is unplugged from Ooma's internet port for a while and then plugged back in. I could have sworn I saw the "Access web interface from Internet port" setting survive this, but I went back and checked to make sure. As it turns out, the setting doesn't survive this either. It appears the fix doesn't work at all.
I hope someone on the programming staff can take another look at this.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by thunderbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 pm

HarryB wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Isn't an Ooma Telo reboot the same as a power off/power on??
Perhaps I should have said disconnected/reconnected instead of reboot -- the sort of thing that happens when the cable is unplugged from Ooma's internet port for a while and then plugged back in. I could have sworn I saw the "Access web interface from Internet port" setting survive this, but I went back and checked to make sure. As it turns out, the setting doesn't survive this either. It appears the fix doesn't work at all.
I hope someone on the programming staff can take another look at this.
The current design is just what you said.

When disconnecting/switching or connecting either the Internet port network cable or the USB Ooma Telo Wi-Fi dongle, the check mark from 'Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port/Wireless port' is supposed to disappear for security reasons.

The reason is if the Ooma Telo Internet port is later connected directly to the Modem, someone could possibly hack into Ooma Setup.

HarryB
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by HarryB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

thunderbird wrote:When disconnecting/switching or connecting either the Internet port network cable or the USB Ooma Telo Wi-Fi dongle, the check mark from 'Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port/Wireless port' is supposed to disappear for security reasons.

The reason is if the Ooma Telo Internet port is later connected directly to the Modem, someone could possibly hack into Ooma Setup.
Well, I'm totally flummoxed now. Exactly what sort of "reboot" is the "Allow web access from Internet port" supposed to survive? It doesn't survive rebooting the router, having the internet cable disconnected, or a power failure. So what does it survive? This is extremely inconvenient. If any of these happen, I have to go get the laptop, hook it up to the Ooma's home port and set that parameter again.
It seems that the one fix in 63430 I really wanted to work doesn't do anything at all.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by thunderbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Disconnecting or disconnecting and reconnecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo is not a reboot.

Removing power and then restoring power for the Ooma Telo is a reboot.

When I do a reboot (remove power then restore power) for my Ooma Telo, the check mark does not disapper from in front of 'Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port/Wireless port' in Ooma Setup.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Access to web interface from INTERNET port

Post by lbmofo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 pm

HarryB, much easier to do port forwarding of Home port in your Ooma device (reliable for sure) and just forget about all of this.

/viewtopic.php?t=14852#p103576
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

Post Reply