Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103548 by thejoy
Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm
Hi, first of all im new to ooma ( so be good to me ! ).

Since I got my ooma I am noticing that my data transfer is about 1.2G per day when my ooma telo is on stand by.

I tried unplugging all my computers from my router leaving only the telo plugged in and that where I get this reading thru my internet providers data chart.

I have my telo plugged right in the cable modem , so its : Cable modem-telo-router

1.2G seems to be quite steep for nealry 24 hrs with no calls.

Is there any way to see the exact upload and download quantity of the telo ?

any suggestions ? what information could help you guys help me ?

thanks alot !
#103550 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm
thejoy wrote:Hi, first of all im new to ooma ( so be good to me ! ).

Since I got my ooma I am noticing that my data transfer is about 1.2G per day when my ooma telo is on stand by.

I tried unplugging all my computers from my router leaving only the telo plugged in and that where I get this reading thru my internet providers data chart.

I have my telo plugged right in the cable modem , so its : Cable modem-telo-router

1.2G seems to be quite steep for nealry 24 hrs with no calls.

Is there any way to see the exact upload and download quantity of the telo ?

any suggestions ? what information could help you guys help me ?

thanks alot !

1.2 G is way too much. Normally it takes just a few kilobytes or less per day.

Try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma and see if that helps.

If you are using a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, and:
If you are looking in Ooma Setup, Status page, Ports, you would have to subtract the Home port data from the Internet data to find out how many bytes are used for a certain period of time. Also when the Ooma Telo is disconnected and restarted, I've noticed that the RX Bytes & TX Bytes don't always zero out.
#103552 by thejoy
Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm
everytime i try and put the telo behind the router, i lose all internet.

Correct me if im wrong :

1-i went into the telo option and put connection type DHCP

then plugged everything modem-router-telo. and then I lose all internet , even on my PC thats plugged into the router. Should I unplug the telo and modem and try a "reboot" ?

" to find out how many bytes are used for a certain period of time" how do we know the certain period of time ?

thx alot
Last edited by thejoy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#103553 by murphy
Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm
Every time you change what is connected to a modem it MUST be power cycled. If the modem has a battery, disconnect the battery also.
#103555 by thejoy
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm
OK, powered down modem/telo/router.

Plugged everything modem-router-telo with telo having the DHCP setting ON.
powered everything back up in order : modem-router-telo

internet is now working and phone is also.

Now how would be the best step to calculate everything going thru the telo ? Since the telo is now behind the router ( the telo is wired to router and not wifi ), should I still set the routers QoS to prioritize the telo ? or is this only necessairy for wireless.

thanks a million.
#103562 by dknyinva
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm
thejoy wrote:Now how would be the best step to calculate everything going thru the telo ?

thanks a million.
If your router support or has a feature called bandwidth management, you can view how much data for a particular device in your network is using similar to the attached image below.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (40.22 KiB) Viewed 4187 times