Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103444 by azism
Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 pm
I was looking into upgrading from my Hub/Scout setup to the Telo setup as I've heard so much good about Telo. However, I will be losing so much that I already have with the Hub/Scout setup it sure looks like a losing proposition to me.

I will lose my two lines and go down to one, plus I will lose the advantage of my Lifetime Premier. As I understand it from customer support, I will have to start paying a monthly or annual fee for Premier and the "Personal Number" I currently have for my elderly parents (in a assisted living facility) to save them long distance charges goes away or needs to be re-setup which gets really confusing. :cry:

So, rather than go through all the hassle and expense of Telo (not including the hardware), there sure doesn't seem to be any advantage to Telo. For the extra cost and fees to have what I have with the Hub/Scout setup, I'd be just as well off going with the cable companies system. I am frustrated after using Ooma for the years I have had it. :x

I'm just venting and hope I did not offend anyone.
#103469 by lbmofo
Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 pm
Everything you could do with Hub/Scout, you can do with Telo/Linx (except Linx has no buttons; can't do send to voicemail or Do Not Disturb using Linx if you have Premier for example).

What you have now is attractive and no need to change until your hardware goes belly up. Then you'd have to look for upgrade options. Cable company is still too expensive compared to Ooma even if you have to pay taxes and premier every month.
#103472 by azism
Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 pm
lbmofo wrote:Everything you could do with Hub/Scout, you can do with Telo/Linx.

That is not the impression Customer Services gave me. They indicated that I would lose the 2nd line, the "Personal Number" (that my parents use to call me toll free from Wisconsin) and there will also then be monthly fees for taxes and for a new Premier subscription (in other words the Lifetime Subscription goes away).

I forget how many years I've been using Ooma, but it's been more than four years at least. I guess the "Lifetime Subscription" to the Premier was too good to believe. I should have known better. :(
#103474 by lbmofo
Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 pm
What you are talking about isn't related to capability of hardware but rather having to do with feature subscription.

True if you don't subscribe to Premier, you won't have 2nd line.

True if your hardware goes belly up, the lifetime subscription you bought for it also goes away (unless Ooma offers another upgrade program).

True if your Core hardware goes away, you'll have to pay monthly taxe (unless Ooma offers another upgrade program).
#103476 by southsound
Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:24 pm
azism wrote:I was looking into upgrading from my Hub/Scout setup to the Telo setup as I've heard so much good about Telo. However, I will be losing so much that I already have with the Hub/Scout setup it sure looks like a losing proposition to me.

No offense taken here. And I agree with points from both you and lbmofo. I have both the Hub/Scout and the Telo. I love them both - but even though it is not the latest, the Hub/Scout is still a fantastic system. In fact, it has gotten better over the years I've had it due to upgrades that are pushed occasionally without a need to do anything. I also have Lifetime Premier on the system so I know how great of a deal it was. My suggestion... as long as your system is still performing, I'd keep it and enjoy the great value it has given since purchased. Might rank up there with fresh coffee, Belgian waffles with Nutella, and a happy wife! :P
#103521 by oomg
Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:55 am
azism wrote:I was looking into upgrading from my Hub/Scout setup to the Telo setup as I've heard so much good about Telo. However, I will be losing so much that I already have with the Hub/Scout setup it sure looks like a losing proposition to me.

I will lose my two lines and go down to one, plus I will lose the advantage of my Lifetime Premier. As I understand it from customer support, I will have to start paying a monthly or annual fee for Premier and the "Personal Number" I currently have for my elderly parents (in a assisted living facility) to save them long distance charges goes away or needs to be re-setup which gets really confusing. :cry:

So, rather than go through all the hassle and expense of Telo (not including the hardware), there sure doesn't seem to be any advantage to Telo. For the extra cost and fees to have what I have with the Hub/Scout setup, I'd be just as well off going with the cable companies system. I am frustrated after using Ooma for the years I have had it. :x

I have two Ooma Core (Hub/Scout) systems on Lifetime; three if you count my mother's system for which I pay the monthly Premier subscription fee. I also have a Telo system in another location (also subject to the monthly Premier subscription fee). I have always said that there advantages to the Core system, primarily relating to the ability to segregate the two lines into separate standalone systems. (Yeah, I know this can be done with the telo, but you need to use one of those lovely handsets which IMHO lacks the versatility of the Scout). So, I tend to agree that there are few, if any, compelling reasons to upgrade to the Telo.

As for the extra number, I appreciate what you are doing for your parents, but believe there may be alternatives that would work just as well; e.g. Google Voice, MagicJack and Line@. GV is free and should have a number that is local to your parents. MagicJack... well, despite the fact that I doesn't compare very favorably to Ooma as a VOIP service, I have always maintained that it does one thing very well; i.e. forward calls. Get an older MJ; set it up once to forward a local number; and then disconnect it from the computer. Not sure why, but most of the MJ's problems seem to disappear when simply forwarding a call. There is an annual fee of $20-$30. Line2 is available for about $100 per year if paid for a full year in advance (that's less than $8.50 per month). You can even select a toll free number so all your family and friends can call for free (hmmm... maybe that not a good thing). Plus, you can use your Line2 number on your smartphone to make and receive calls. So, when you are away from home, turn off call forwarding on the Line2 system and you can still receive your parent's calls. The Line2 app is free and it works flawlessly. I only hope that Ooma Mobile can be fixed to come close to LIne2.

Regarding the ability to transfer the Lifetime Premier service to a Telo, I believe I could make a strong argument that it is the subscription to the service itself that is lifetime which cannot be terminated by an equipment failure, particularly since Ooma does offer similar replacement equipment. Nevertheless, I doubt that anyone would need to actually make this argument, since I tend to believe that if the issue were to be presented to someone other than a front line CS agent, the answer would be different.
#103524 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 am
oomg wrote:I have always said that there advantages to the Core system, primarily relating to the ability to segregate the two lines into separate standalone systems. (Yeah, I know this can be done with the telo, but you need to use one of those lovely handsets which IMHO lacks the versatility of the Scout). So, I tend to agree that there are few, if any, compelling reasons to upgrade to the Telo.

Now, with Linx, you can have 2 separate hardwired lines. Linx just lacks the buttons and such compared to the Scout (no ability to check voicemail via button, do DND etc).

oomg wrote:Regarding the ability to transfer the Lifetime Premier service to a Telo, I believe I could make a strong argument that it is the subscription to the service itself that is lifetime which cannot be terminated by an equipment failure, particularly since Ooma does offer similar replacement equipment. Nevertheless, I doubt that anyone would need to actually make this argument, since I tend to believe that if the issue were to be presented to someone other than a front line CS agent, the answer would be different.

The clarification from Dennis on the Lifetime Premier is that it is tied to the hardware. Supposedly, you can transfer it to another like hardware. I suppose, if you have another brand new Hub around, you can transfer your Lifetime Premier if your hardware fails. /viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3581&start=20#p26896
#103526 by azism
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am
A point I may need to make first, and that is maybe the original post should have been titled "Not much to gain with Telo over Hub".

Anyway, oomg, you present some good arguments. As for the number for my parents which for them is a local call instead of a long distance call, most, like MJ require the computer to be on and I can guarantee you that their being in their early 90s they don't turn their computer on that much. As to the Smartphone, I hardly ever use the cell phone I have, so I just have no need for a smartphone (which is probably smarter than I am ;) ).

As to your comment
Regarding the ability to transfer the Lifetime Premier service to a Telo, I believe I could make a strong argument that it is the subscription to the service itself that is lifetime which cannot be terminated by an equipment failure, particularly since Ooma does offer similar replacement equipment. Nevertheless, I doubt that anyone would need to actually make this argument, since I tend to believe that if the issue were to be presented to someone other than a front line CS agent, the answer would be different.

this is a good argument. After all, is there not some benefit to being a longtime Ooma customer/user and a Premier subscriber since I first started using Ooma? It sure would be nice to speak to someone other than a front line CS rep or "supervisor". I put supervisor in quotes as I really must wonder how much more authority they have that a regular CS rep has. :?:
#103527 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 am
azism, oomg meant to have you get one of those services so your parents can call you if you didn't have a second line.
#103529 by azism
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:35 am
lbmofo wrote:azism, oomg meant to have you get one of those services so your parents can call you if you didn't have a second line.

I am confused here. My parents are set up with the "Personal Number". As to the two lines, that comes about with the Scout setup, at least that's the way I understand it.

BTW, I have been using Ooma since March of 2009 and so far I have had only to replace the Scout in June of 2011. Thus far the Hub has been okay, but one must wonder how long before a unit such as the hub will last and then what? That was one reason I was looking at purchasing a Telo so when the Hub goes belly-up, I could "easily" convert to it. But that doesn't seem like such an easy conversion based on just being able to keep things (Lifetime Premier subscription) as they are. :?