Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103139 by dmyoung63
Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 am
When I bought a Telo in 2009, the instructions said to set it up "Modem -> Telo -> Router -> Computers." This works, but now I'm rewiring my home, installing Cat-6 jacks in the walls, and I'll have a 24-port switch downstairs in a closet. That's not where I plan on keeping my phone!

So I need to change the configuration, and it looked simple enough: the online quick reference guide even says that the recommended installation is "Router -> Telo (TO INTERNET port)." I try that. After an hour I finally get phone service, but after four hours the internet is still not up.

Customer service tells me to go to https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports or to contact my Zoom modem makers for customer support. I'm not sure what to do with this information. It's talking about opening application ports "if you have a special network configuration with a firewall device upstream of the Ooma Hub or Telo that restricts application ports on the inside or "private side" of your network for outbound traffic." I'd be surprised if that applied to me. The Zoom modem has never gotten in the way of anything else. Besides, why shouldn't I have internet if I'm going "Modem -> Switch -> Computer" regardless of whether the Telo's connected? For some mysterious (to me) reason, it's an essential part of the system and must come before the switch.

If I can't run my Telo in parallel with my other ethernet devices then it's going to have to go.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? How did you do it?

Thank you,

Diane
#103140 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 am
dmyoung63:
If you are connecting Modem-Switch-Ooma, the Modem usually only issues one IP address. So only one device can be connected to your LAN network at a time. To make this configuration work properly, you need to add a Router which will issue many IP addresses.

Example: Modem-Router-Switch-Ooma, or Modem-Router-Ooma.

In this case, nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily connecting a computer when access to Ooma Setup is required.
#103141 by murphy
Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 am
If you are switching from

modem -> Telo -> Router -> switch

to

modem -> Router -> switch -> Telo

it is essential that the modem be power cycled. (turn it off for one minute).
If the modem has a backup battery it must be disconnected while the AC power is disconnected.

You can not connect your 24 port switch directly to the modem.
All cable modems remember the first MAC address to connect after power on and will not allow more than one connection unless you are paying your ISP for more than one IP address.

Except for configuring the Telo nothing should be connected to its Home port.

My house is configured exactly like this except instead of a 24 port switch I have three 8 port gigabit switches and an 8 port 10/100 mbit switch located in different rooms. They are in the living room, bedroom, and computer room. This allows devices in a room to talk between themselves without the signals leaving the room.

The router is in the computer room so I only had to run two cables through the walls. My house was built before the internet was invented.

The Telo works fine connected this way. I also have an Ooma Hub which has been connected this way for over 3 years.
#103145 by dmyoung63
Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:32 am
thunderbird wrote:dmyoung63:
If you are connecting Modem-Switch-Ooma, the Modem usually only issues one IP address. So only one device can be connected to your LAN network at a time. To make this configuration work properly, you need to add a Router which will issue many IP addresses.

Example: Modem-Router-Switch-Ooma, or Modem-Router-Ooma.

In this case, nothing is connected to the Ooma Home port, except temporarily connecting a computer when access to Ooma Setup is required.

Thank you for your response. I've tried a couple of things. Things are complicated, since it's grown over the years, so now there's also an Apple Time Capsule in the mix. So it's been "Modem -> Ooma -> Switch -> Computers and Time Capsule". From the switch, one Ethernet cable goes to my son's room, another goes to my husband's office, and another goes to the Time Capsule (WAN) and I use one of the three LAN ports to connect it to my computer. (I know it's also a wireless router, and we use it for that, too, but I prefer the speed of the Ethernet cable.)

So, that's the old setup. Once I realized my mistake of trying to go "Modem -> Ooma -> Switch -> Computers," I tried going "Modem -> Time Capsule -> Ooma (To Internet) and Switch -> then from the Switch to the Computers. Alas, it just doesn't work. I get no internet service.

murphy wrote:Except for configuring the Telo nothing should be connected to its Home port.

My house is configured exactly like this except instead of a 24 port switch I have three 8 port gigabit switches and an 8 port 10/100 mbit switch located in different rooms. They are in the living room, bedroom, and computer room. This allows devices in a room to talk between themselves without the signals leaving the room.

Thank you, Murphy. What do you mean by "Except for configuring the Telo?" In my 2009 instructions you had to use both ethernet ports and route through the Ooma. In the 2011 instructions you ignore the Home port completely. Is there something I could be doing with the Home port to fix this situation?

Thank you both again,

Diane
#103148 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 am
dmyoung63 wrote:So, that's the old setup. Once I realized my mistake of trying to go "Modem -> Ooma -> Switch -> Computers," I tried going "Modem -> Time Capsule -> Ooma (To Internet) and Switch -> then from the Switch to the Computers. Alas, it just doesn't work. I get no internet service.

You need to connect Modem-Time Capsule-Ooma, and Modem-Time Capsule-Switch.

The Ooma device will connect to one of the Time Capsule LAN ports, and the Switch will connect to another of the Time Capsule LAN ports. The third Time Capsule LAN ports will be connected to what ever you wish. Nothing will be connected to the Ooma Device Home port.

Be sure to remove power from the Modem, Apple Time Capsule, Ooma Device, and Switch. Power the Modem. When the Modem is finished booting, repower the Apple Time Capsule. When the Apple Time Capsule is done booting, repower the Ooma Device. Also repower the Switch.