Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103090 by LloydEwing
Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 am
I just got several wireless IP phones, Linksys model WIP330. They perform the analog/VOIP translations and send the signal to the internet over an ordinary wifi link.

To use these phones, I understand that I will need a VOIP account that provides access to a SIP server. Is there a way to use my Ooma account to provide access to these phones, or will I have to set up an account with some other company?

The data sheet for the WIP330 can be found in the downloads on this page:
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/voip/WIP330

Thanks!
Lloyd
#103094 by LloydEwing
Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am
I know from reading the forum that Ooma does not "make SIP info available", but that does not answer the question. I am not an expert in VOIP technology. Is "ibmofo" intending to say that I will have to get an account with another company to use my Linksys phones?

Has Ooma indicated that it might provide this service in the future?

Thanks
#103095 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am
LloydEwing wrote:To use these phones, I understand that I will need a VOIP account that provides access to a SIP server. Is there a way to use my Ooma account to provide access to these phones, or will I have to set up an account with some other company?

Since Ooma does not give out SIP info, you won't be able to use these handsets with Ooma service. If you really need to use these handsets, you'd need to have some other VoIP service and get SIP info.

LloydEwing wrote:I know from reading the forum that Ooma does not "make SIP info available", but that does not answer the question. I am not an expert in VOIP technology. Is "ibmofo" intending to say that I will have to get an account with another company to use my Linksys phones?

Yes.

LloydEwing wrote:Has Ooma indicated that it might provide this service in the future?

Don't know at this point whether it will be available in the future. My guess is "likely not." Big part of Ooma's income comes from selling Ooma hardware. Ooma wants people to buy another when one goes belly up. With SIP info, no need to buy new hardware. Perhaps, exception for Premier subs.