Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103021 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 am
If you are still having problems with your Headset and Microphone, connected to the HD2 handset, post those problems here.

I am using a later Ooma Telo firmware verion, and it seems like using a Headset and Microphone with the HD2 handset is working Okay. The called party doesn't seem to know the difference between the Headset Microphone, and the HD2 handset Microphone.

Later more critical comment Revision: The callers are saying that the volume level is okay, but not as loud as the HD2 handset Microphone and it sounds like I am talking under a blanket when using the Headset Microphone.

If you are still having a Headset Microphone Volume problem, contact Ooma Customer Support, Level three, and ask for the latest Ooma Telo firmware update.

Please report if the revised firmware update helped.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#103032 by garyn
Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am
I have purchased two HD2 handsets and both are having problems with low volume from the microphone on my Plantronics headset. I've used this headset with both my cell phone and Uniden DECT phones and have no issues with microphone volume. Both HD2 handsets are experiencing low volume from the microphone that makes the headset unusable. :cry: Both of the HD2 handsets updated their firmware when first turned on, so I assume their firmware is up to date.

There was mention of "the latest Ooma Telo firmware version." Which version is this? Is this something that the Telo would update automatically or does this need to be manually updated? Why would the Telo firmware affect the microphone volume (and not mess with the handset microphone)?

If there are headsets that have been tested with the HD2, can someone provide a list of those? I purchased the HD2 handsets primarily to use with a headset and right now, I cannot use a headset with them.
#103040 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm
garyn wrote:I have purchased two HD2 handsets and both are having problems with low volume from the microphone on my Plantronics headset. I've used this headset with both my cell phone and Uniden DECT phones and have no issues with microphone volume. Both HD2 handsets are experiencing low volume from the microphone that makes the headset unusable. :cry: Both of the HD2 handsets updated their firmware when first turned on, so I assume their firmware is up to date.

There was mention of "the latest Ooma Telo firmware version." Which version is this? Is this something that the Telo would update automatically or does this need to be manually updated? Why would the Telo firmware affect the microphone volume (and not mess with the handset microphone)?

If there are headsets that have been tested with the HD2, can someone provide a list of those? I purchased the HD2 handsets primarily to use with a headset and right now, I cannot use a headset with them.

The HD2 handset firmware is part of the Ooma Telo firmware and is pushed out together. Normally the firmware is pushed out as a blanket for all Ooma Telo users over about a three week period of time. But because of the release of the HD2 handset, and because Ooma is constantly "tweaking" the firmware for the HD2 handsets, there has been several versions and update of Firmware pushed out to people that have requested it.

So yes, you have to request the "latest" version of Ooma Telo firmware, explaining that the microphone gain is very low, when using a Headset with the HD2 handset. You have to ask for a level three Ooma support person to get this done.

Be sure to report in this forum the results after you get an Ooma Telo firmware update and have tested it. The Ooma engineers do read these posts, so the information you provide is very valuable.

Ooma has not provided a list of headset the are compatable with the HD2 handset, yet.
#103053 by garyn
Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 pm
I called Ooma support today and requested level 3 support to get the latest firmware pushed to my telo and handsets. Support was very responsive and upgraded my system a short while ago. My firmware versions are:
Base: went from 62782 to 63430
HS: went from 62596 to 63427
RFP: went from 62780 to 63422

While the problem with low microphone volume is better, it is by no means fixed. There is some horrible background noise using the headset and the volume is still about half of what it should be. I have Ooma Premiere and called my second number which let me leave a voice mail using the headset and normal handset mic. Attached is the voice mail recording that was emailed to me. The first part of the message is with the headset, the second part just using the handset microphone without the headset.

I still don't think I can use this particular headset (Plantronics M170) with the HD2. Possibly a different headset might work better, but I'm not going to go on a buying spree trying to find one that works.
Attachments
(62.75 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
#103088 by rasa7777
Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 am
garyn wrote:My firmware versions are:
Base: went from 62782 to 63430
HS: went from 62596 to 63427
RFP: went from 62780 to 63422

I have these versions as well now. While callers are reporting I sound better than before, it's still not anywhere near the sound quality of using the same headset with a non-Ooma handset. Sorry.
#107702 by JasonOlsen
Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 pm
I'm bumping this thread in the hope of bringing some life back to the topic. I have deployed my HD2 handsets and have the current am currently looking around to find what type of headset I can successfully use via the 3.5mm headset jack. I'd prefer to avoid anything related to BlueTooth because my Telo base station is located on the kitty-corner end of the house, but my HD2 handset is right next to me and works great. Given that I have a handset that's here and enabled with a 3.5mm jack, it seems like picking up a headset is the way to go.

Has there been any traction on this in the last month? I am doubtful that Ooma has published a "known good" or "supported headset" listing, which is something I find sadly disappointing. However, I was hoping that via sheer luck somebody could tell me what might work well with this unit.

Base Firmware: 66221
HS Firmware: 66221
RFP Firmware: 66216