Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104801 by Durtch
Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:07 am
I received a replacement HD2 a few weeks back which has been working fine... until now.

The display backlight won't turn off when in the cradle, and it never displays any text anymore, just a lit screen. Phone seems to work ok. But if a call comes in the screen doesn't change from just the backlighting.

I tried rebooting telo, removed batteries from HD2, even dis-associated HD2 from base. Same status. What do I do from here?
#104803 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:41 am
Press the HD2 handset Menu button.
Select the Setting (Gear) menu.
Select Display.
Select On Cradle Settings.
Set the Brightness and Turn off after setting, to your choice.
Do the same for the Off Cradle settings.
#104814 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am
Durtch wrote:Yes, it returns to the same lit screen with no display.

Try Blind access to Menu:
Press the HD2 handset Menu button.
Select the Setting (Gear) menu, by pressing the lower side Navigation Pad one click down.
Select Display, by pressing the Select Key.
Select On Cradle Settings, by pressing the Select Key.
Select Off Cradle Settings, by pressing the lower side Navigation pad one click down, then pressing the Select key.
Set the Brightness, by pressing the Select Key.
The Brightness setting has three settings, Low, Medum and High. Press the Select Key once or twice to see if you can get any responce from the screen.

If the sceen doesn't show letters, etc. then the Ooma HD2 handset is probably defective and you will need to contact Ooma Customer Support for another HD2 handset.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Note: This is the first time I've heard of anyone having this problem with a HD2 handset.
#105245 by leehileman
Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm
thunderbird wrote:
jh_austin wrote:I hit another problem today with the HD2 handset. My wife called and only my Panasonic phones rang. The HD2 handsets did not indicate a call at all. I tried to answer using the HD2 handset but just got the Ooma ringtone. I looked at the HD2 screen to see whether there was anything to press to answer the ringing phone and there wasn't. I ran to another room and answered the phone using a Panasonic phone. This makes me think that i could completely miss phone calls if I were relying solely on the HD2 handset.

This happened to me today also. I reboot the Ooma Telo, and the HD2 handsets started functioning properly again.

Uhoh... Count me in too. Exact same issue. Rebooting the telo fixes it for a couple days, then at least one (sometimes 2) of the 4 handsets will quit ringing when a call comes in. And like you said, not only does it not ring, you can't answer the call either. I called tech support and they said they had not heard of this issue and that I should try rebooting the handsets next time this happens and if that doesn't work, they will send me new handsets. But I SERIOUSLY doubt this is related to defective handsets. Thunderbird, have you had it happen again or heard anything more on this in the last few days?

BTW, (related to a couple other posts in this thread) My chargers (or maybe the phones themselves) also emit an extremely high pitched whine when charging. And one of my charger wall-warts was defective. But no worries. It appears that any 5VDC mini USP charger can be connected to the back of the charging base, so I just used an old Blackberry charger to replace the defective one. I think the whine went away when using that charger as well.

As always, any help/advice on the not-ringing issue is very much appreciated.

Oh, I should add that I have an IP telephony router connected to the analog phone port (as one would a cordless phone set), but I don't think there is any relation to that because when this issue occurs, I can lay all 4 HD2 handsets out on the kitchen counter, call the Ooma number from a regular phone line and, and only 3 out of the 4 or sometimes 2 out of the 4 will ring, but the point is that 2 or 3 of them do ring, so I know the VOIP router is not picking up. And then, as I am standing there, I reboot the telo, call again, and all 4 ring like they should. Seems like an issue with the Telo's firmware...
#105248 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm
leehileman wrote:Uhoh... Count me in too. Exact same issue. Rebooting the telo fixes it for a couple days, then at least one (sometimes 2) of the 4 handsets will quit ringing when a call comes in. And like you said, not only does it not ring, you can't answer the call either. I called tech support and they said they had not heard of this issue and that I should try rebooting the handsets next time this happens and if that doesn't work, they will send me new handsets. But I SERIOUSLY doubt this is related to defective handsets. Thunderbird, have you had it happen again or heard anything more on this in the last few days?

Try Unregistering and reregistering the affected HD2 handset(s). That will usually fix the no ringing problem.
Following is a couple of ways to unregister/register the HD2 handsets.

With a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port:
Star commands dialed using a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone Port.
Dial *#*#191 to unregister 1st HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#192 to unregister 2nd HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#193 to unregister 3rd HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#194 to unregister 4th HD2 handset or Linx device
Or
Dial *#*#199 to unregister all HD2 handsets or Linx devices

Register the HD2 handset:
Press the tower button for more then three seconds on the face of the Ooma Telo to re-register the HD2 handsets or Linx devices. Follow directions on the HD2 handsets after the HD2 handset recognizes the Ooma Telo registration request.

Or

Access Ooma Setup, DECT Settings page to unregister and reregister HD2 handsets and/or Linx devices.

If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on DECT tab. The DECT Setting page opens.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on the DECT tab. The DECT Settings page opens.

If the HD2 handset(s) still fail to ring and you can't carry on a conversation with them, do the exchange while the HD2 handsets are in warranty. The shipping is free both ways.

leehileman wrote:
BTW, (related to a couple other posts in this thread) My chargers (or maybe the phones themselves) also emit an extremely high pitched whine when charging. And one of my charger wall-warts was defective. But no worries. It appears that any 5VDC mini USP charger can be connected to the back of the charging base, so I just used an old Blackberry charger to replace the defective one. I think the whine went away when using that charger as well.

The extremely high pitched whine when the HD2 handset is charging, is a known issue with the charging cradles. The fix is to have Ooma Customer Support exchange then while still in warranty. Shipping is prepaid both ways.

leehileman wrote:
As always, any help/advice on the not-ringing issue is very much appreciated.

Oh, I should add that I have an IP telephony router connected to the analog phone port (as one would a cordless phone set), but I don't think there is any relation to that because when this issue occurs, I can lay all 4 HD2 handsets out on the kitchen counter, call the Ooma number from a regular phone line and, and only 3 out of the 4 or sometimes 2 out of the 4 will ring, but the point is that 2 or 3 of them do ring, so I know the VOIP router is not picking up. And then, as I am standing there, I reboot the telo, call again, and all 4 ring like they should. Seems like an issue with the Telo's firmware...

What version of Ooma Telo firmware are you using? You may be able to contact Ooma Customer Support, ask for third level support and have them "push" out a later version of firmware that may correct this problem.
#105255 by Leeway
Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm
I have to totally agree with Thunderbird. I unregistered my handsets today using the connected method from computer to Telo. Unregistered and re-registered and it made a world of difference.

Donna
#105270 by Tom
Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm
leehileman wrote: ... at least one (sometimes 2) of the 4 handsets will quit ringing when a call comes in.

When you say 'quit ringing' you mean one handset stops responding to inbound calls (on repeated tries) whereas
the other handsets continue responding just fine? And the handset does not recover until you reboot the telo?
See if you can recover a handset in this state by holding down the red key. This will reboot the handset.