Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9425 by SoccerDad
Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 am
I've had the same problem. I put the Ooma hub behind the router and it completely resolved. I work at home some days too and it's worth the trouble of making your set-ups work!
#9427 by Neubiee
Sun May 10, 2009 11:29 am
SoccerDad wrote:I've had the same problem. I put the Ooma hub behind the router and it completely resolved. I work at home some days too and it's worth the trouble of making your set-ups work!

Good to hear Soccer Dad.
So you had Modem-->Ooma-->Router which was causing the problem?
and you switched it to Modem-->Router-->Ooma setup right?

For whatever reason that setup seems to fix a lot of issues!
#9428 by SoccerDad
Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 am
Neubiee wrote:
SoccerDad wrote:I've had the same problem. I put the Ooma hub behind the router and it completely resolved. I work at home some days too and it's worth the trouble of making your set-ups work!

Good to hear Soccer Dad.
So you had Modem-->Ooma-->Router which was causing the problem?
and you switched it to Modem-->Router-->Ooma setup right?

For whatever reason that setup seems to fix a lot of issues!

Yes, exactly. In case specifics are helpful, I have a Comcast modem that also carries their Digital Voice phone service, it goes into an Apple Airport Extreme router, I'm using a 5-port switch to increase my ports and then the Ooma box is plugged into one of those switch ports. When I put the Ooma box first (which is something I tried with Vonage a few years back), VPN stopped working and I even had trouble with internet connections that weren't on VPN.

I hope everything works out well for you.
#9431 by jtykal
Sun May 10, 2009 2:10 pm
Of course, the disadvantage of the Modem-->Router-->Ooma setup is that your hub cannot manage QoS for you by prioritizing voice traffic over the data traffic coming in from the Home port. If you're savvy enough to configure QoS in your router so that the port/MAC address of the Ooma has higher priority than the rest of the LAN devices, then this isn't too much of an issue.

FWIW, my setup is Modem-->Ooma-->Router, and I use VPN all day everyday without any drops. I have my router configured as a wired/wireless switch, and all of the devices attached to it get IP addresses served by the Ooma hub, not from the router.